Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just done about $4500 worth of work to my truck including 2 new heads, head gaskets, ARP studs, sinister oil cooler, EGR delete and y-pipes and pretty much every gasket and o-ring on the top of that engine. So I get I back together and running and it runs great! The problem I am having is I'm getting coolant in my oil. I've already had the a shop pull the oil cooler pressure test it and check the o-rings, they said all that looks good and they said they looked at the front cover and noticed some cavitation but nothing that they said would cause my problem. I just want to know has anyone else ran into this and even if you haven't any little bit of advice I can get would be great. And by the way, I did not notice this issue before I did all this work. Thanks.

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
how many miles did you put on it? i guess the cooling system was flushed really well after having the heads off? how much coolant is getting in the oil?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The smallest of pinholes will cause coolant to get into your oil, if there is any cavitation whatsoever I can almost guarantee that that is your problem. I can even tell you how many I have replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I drove it home from my shop (about 10 miles) then the next days I changed the oil again (did it before I stared the engine) and noticed the oil filter came out milky. So I thought to myself maybe I didn't flush it all out good so went ahead and changed it drove it 30 more miles and got under it and drop the plug to check for water and 1-2 quarts came out. So I flushed it again out of frustration and the same thing, another 1-2 quarts came out. I've got about 80-100 miles total since the build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and by the way as soon a I noticed the coolant in the oil I started just setting the cap on the degas bottle so it wouldn't build pressure. No change. And 06FX4 you say this is a common problem? I wonder why it didn't do it before the build, which was leading me to believe it was something I did :(. Only other option I could come up with was one of the coolant passages at the head gasket leaking into the pushrod galley???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sheet I got with the studs said 70, 140 then 210 in the spiral pattern.... And I was hoping it wasn't a cracked (needless to say) but I think I might I might get a low to mild built long block to put in there. The truck has 280xxx and I just need it a good reliable vehicle out of it so if I just transfer all the stuff from the old engine I will basically have a new truck!! Only problem is that will put about 10k I've put into it within 8 months :/

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
ya final torque should be 210. i have experience with a cracked block on my 6.4....twice. my torque wrench, although almost new, was applying WAY more torque than it should have been. took 2 blocks before i finally figured it out.

i would definitely do a little testing and confirm the block is cracked before jumping to building a long block for it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts