Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7.3 Powerstroker
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming up a hill with my 88 f350 with 7.3 non turbo in it, 5 speed. and the check engine light came on. I looked down at my cluster to see my coolant gauge was pegged on hot.

I immediately shut the truck down after pulling over. I waited about 30 min before i started it again and drove it back to my house which was about 2 mins downhill.

It was been sitting for about a day now, and when i turn the key on, the coolant temp immediately goes to hot.

This is with a cold motor.

Where do i start to solve this problem? is it a grounding issue or a temp sensor that has gone bad?

WHere is the temp sensor located?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd say it's the temp sending unit. If it got that hot it would have cut off, (i did this to mine the other night after I unknowingly blew a heater hose in the mud).

I'm not sure exactly where it is but it's easy to fix. I would imagine it's on top of the intake near the water neck, that's where they usually are.

·
Administrator
8,546 Posts
coolant temp sensor is on the driver side of the engine, in the front near the first cylinder exhaust manifold port.

the sensor on top near the thermostat is the fast idle/timing advance sensor.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
might be the gauge also, i had the same problem. i went through a few sending units before i just got a cheepo numerical gauge and the temp is prefectly in check

·
Administrator
8,546 Posts
to test whether it is the gauge or sender, unplug the sender. if it is shorted out, the gauge will go to cold and the CEL will go out with the ignition on the run position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts