Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternative chemicals to the VC-9 or the Restore I work at advance Auto Parts and we sell the PEAK Super Cleaner and Flush and the PEAK Anti-Rust, Sealer, and Protector would this be a good product combo to use or is it best recommended to stick with the VC-9.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump

·
Registered
113 Posts
Simple green.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses has anyone tried the peak and would simple green really work as an alternative to vc-9

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
VC-9 cleans system. Dawn & Simple Green are used to break down oil/fuel contaminents. They dont clean scaling or rust. Just follow Ford recommendations.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
Problem with VC9 is it knocks everything off the casting and it will plug the oil cooler. Most likely even a few months later. So you can do a flush with old oil cooler wash things out and then install new oil cooler. A few months go by and you see your EOT at 250 again.

I Strongly recommend using Cascade or Simple Green over ANY acid!! Plus it etches the aluminum turning it black this I have seen myself from a Ford VC-9 flush.
DONT DO IT.
You don't need it that clean, you just need to get the goo and silicates out.
But you must install a coolant filter if you want to keep debris out of your oil cooler. Just the cast iron wearing away from the water pump and anything coming off of casting can be captured. Cheap insurance.
Good Luck fella's and stay away from the acids.

Cascade liquid dishwasher soap. It Works Extremely Well !!

·
Registered
301 Posts
The problem with using cascade or dawn is that it is a bitch to get out of the system after you use it. VC-9 has been known to loosen up so much stuff in a block to clog up oil cooler. I recommend simple green, and in ford tsbs they actually recommend simple green as well.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
FWIW, You can look at the MSDS for VC-9 and compare it to other products, I did, I didn't find any other products that had the same chemical has VC9, so I had a M.I.T. Phd look over the MSDS and tell me which one would work best for cleaning a cooling system. He said VC-9 is the best one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts