Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I want to add this to my truck. I am trying to decide on just what route I want to go. I am considering the water pump with the filter boss, the Dieselsite kit, the Napa set up and a few other random bases and set ups. I am also looking to creat a really good thread that we could add to the library on this subject. In the research I have done so far it looks like there is more then theory on plumbing the kit either in the heater lines or using the water pump port.

Looks is a consideration for me personally. I have seen a few set up that have a lot of hose clamp and I am not sure that is what I personally want on my truck. Right now if I go with a filter up top in the engine bay I am leaning towards the Dieselsite billet filter base. If I do something else the Napa base might be a consideration.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Dieselsite kit looks like this from their website.

but now is shipped with this billet filter housing which looks very nice.

I am not sure on the port set up as that is the only image I have to go by.

Here is a write up an adding a water pump with the coolant filter which also is a clean look.
Int'l water pump w/ filter...installed - Powerstroke Nation

Guzzle has a write up here with photos of the cast iron Napa base that is a possible idea for me.
Welcome to guzzle's Coolant Bypass Filter Mod Web Page

·
Registered
374 Posts
Tom, that is an old picture. We kept modifying the new units until we liked them the best and they worked in all of our system applications. Not a great pic, but here is the current unit. Picture 030.jpg

Bob

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that is a darn nice looking piece! :D Bob do you return to the small line between the Degas bottle and the radiator? I am pretty sure that the feed for the filter is off the extra port on the water pump.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pasted this in from another thread. It is Jcart's set up.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I don't think you will like the one in the last picture. I have a new one of those laying here. I think it is kind of cheezy. But it is genuine India quality.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about this today. How would it be to use the filter supply off the extra port on the water pump and return to one of the drain plugs on the block. That idea interests me as there are not any Tees in the hoses that way.

Ed, you must know me. I am way to fussy about some stuff.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Tom,
We return to the expansion tank. You have to return to a "lower" Pressure side of the system, otherwise there will be no flow through the filter.

Think about it this way, if you cut one heater hose in two places and placed both tees in that line. The coolant would not exit the hose to go through the filter and come back. It would simply bypass the filter altogether.

The reason it works in the two heater hoses as some have done is there is some amount of pressure drop across the heater core. This pressure differential allows flow to the filter and back.

Bob

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob do you happen to know if the drain plugs on the block are on the low pressure side by chance. I think there is a coolant flow diagram in the shop manual which I also seem to recall having the flow through the heater core reversed now that I think of it.

Kudos on the article in Diesel Power on this subject as well.
7.3L Power Stroke Cooling System Upgrades - Diesel Power Magazine

·
riverjet
459 Posts
I have used DIESELSITE system for many years and it works great! Bob's customer service is top notch also.Recently I ordered a replacement filter from Bob after not finding them locally.I felt stupid ordering only one but I only put a hundred miles a month on the truck. Bob sent me a extra filter free of charge!

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
That idea interests me as there are not any Tees in the hoses that way.
Does your truck have the hose going from the front of the passenger side head to the radiator?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your truck have the hose going from the front of the passenger side head to the radiator?
I ran out to the garage and looked. Fitting on the passenger head is hooked up as follows a 5/8 heater hose comes off the goes to a Tee. One side of the Tee is a 1/2 hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator the other side of the Tee is a 5/8 that goes to the heater core. I think that side is on the high pressure side of the cooling system and the return for the heater core is the fitting on the top. Going by memory from TDS days the shop book has that backwards. I also think I verified which was feed and return when I did the AC mod. I tried without success to find that information earlier today.

I have to say this truck has crazy cooling system design. I dont think we ever come to a 100% conclusion on that half inch line running to the bottom of the radiator. Too bad AutoJim is not still around.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I came across this doing some reading on the web. Unique but not so sure that is for me. I am guessing Bob knows these guys at it looked like they sell some of his products like the 203 thermostat.

I have used DIESELSITE system for many years and it works great! Bob's customer service is top notch also.Recently I ordered a replacement filter from Bob after not finding them locally.I felt stupid ordering only one but I only put a hundred miles a month on the truck. Bob sent me a extra filter free of charge!
I stumbled across this if it helps someone.

Coolant (for the Dieselsite kit/filter head with a 11/16-16 thread pitch):
Fleetguard WF-2077
Baldwin B5134
BALDWIN B5089 Short Version
John Deere RE11992
Caterpillar 9Y4528
Cummins 3300721
Wix 24070
NAPA 4070
AC-Delco WF-108
Fram PR3383
Donaldson P554685
Alliance (Freightliner) WF2077

- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's) BALDWIN B5134
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's), Short Version BALDWIN B5089
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's) FLEETGUARD WF2077
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's), Short Version FLEETGUARD WF2050
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's), Short Version International 1825314C1
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's) Luber-Finer LFW4685
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's), Short Version Luber-Finer LFW4686
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's) WIX 24070
- FILTER, COOLANT (no sca's), Short Version WIX 24069

The shorter version of the filter would add a few more mounting options

Replaces: International 1825314-C1; Fleetguard WF2107
Thread: 11/16-16
O.D.: 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length: 4 3/8 (111.1)

Vs. the longer one

Replaces: Caterpillar 9Y4528; Cummins 3300721; Ford E7NN-8A469-AA; GMC 25010844; Hino 16304-41015; John Deere RE11992
Thread: 11/16-16
O.D.: 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length: 5 13/32 (137.3)

·
Boost Gets You Laid
160 Posts
I currently run the DIESELSITE kit. I Like it. The only hard thing about Bob's kit is trying to find the mounting place that you like the most. I mounted mine on the driver side fire wall in the corner. It looks slick and super easy to install. If I had to choose between kits.....I would go DIESELSITE. IMO Id rather support Bob and his excellent customer service than give the big companies even more money. Plus, Bob isnt going to sell something that isnt perfect.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I currently run the DIESELSITE kit. I Like it. The only hard thing about Bob's kit is trying to find the mounting place that you like the most. I mounted mine on the driver side fire wall in the corner. It looks slick and super easy to install. If I had to choose between kits.....I would go DIESELSITE. IMO Id rather support Bob and his excellent customer service than give the big companies even more money. Plus, Bob isnt going to sell something that isnt perfect.
I am pretty sure I am going with the DieselSite set up at this point. I would love a photo of your installation and I would also really like to hear where else you considered mounting yours.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
160 Posts
Well im currently deployed with the Marine Corps overseas....so I dont have a picture of the setup. Sorry cant help you with that aspect. I considered mounting it just behind the overflow tank on the passanger side fender where the OEM bottle jack sits. If I wouldve put it there, I wouldnt be able to change the filter easily. So I just stuck it in the open space just to the outside of the master cylinder/brake booster on the firewall. I actually drilled through the pinch seem that is right there. It provides alot of room to change the filter but I put a bag over it so I dont get coolant all down my firewall connectors and stuff. I used everything that Bob included and ran the coolant return across the firewall with the wire bundle and into the tank. I brought the pressure line right up in between the vaacum pump from the water pump fitting and back to the brake booster with the vaacum pump line and they branched it off to the coolant bracket in the front. I didnt use the right hand outlet on the bracket. I used the front (pressure) and the left side (return). It turned out pretty sweet. The only thing I modifed was the worm clamps. I cut the long tail off of them so they are slick and dont have a big tail on them when tightened down. Hope this helps.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am kind of thinking about the spot between the passenger side battery and the radiator at the moment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the Navistar pump on mine. Install was pretty easy and straight forward. You can find the pump for not much more than a stock PSD pump. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f29/new-source-international-water-pump-napa-197293/

One thing I like is being able to run the cheap 203° thermostat. Another minor cosmetic item I like is the heater hose no longer drapes across the top of the engine to the top of the water pump.

I just changed the filter for the first time, but haven't cut it open yet to see what I caught.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I don't think you will like the one in the last picture. I have a new one of those laying here. I think it is kind of cheezy. But it is genuine India quality.
I've used several of those cast filter heads, nothing cheezy about them IMO.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I run the Dieselsite system and love it. I mounted mine underneath passenger side fram rail. close on fram behind radius arms. Tom the top plug you take out on the waterpump is hard to get out it is a square plug.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts