Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OLD DINOSAUR
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right close to 65,000 miles I did a very good flush and installed new ELC (ZEREX G-05) coolant using distilled water and a coolant filter system from BD Diesel (My truck is a 2007 6.0) and then did filter changes at coolant filter system install +500 miles, install+ 1000 miles, install + 2000 miles and found it to be pretty nasty after the first one (I've been putting the removed filter on my lathe and cutting them open so I could see what they were catching) with decreasing amounts of crud being caught as the miles went by. So, I started changing them ONLY when I did the oil & filter. Right now I am preparing for a trip (towing a 2 axle cargo trailer) and removed the filter installed at 90,000 with current miles right at 113,000 so that one has been on there for 23,000 miles (obviously I didn't change it when doing the last few oil changes!)The following pics are the first one, then a later one and then the one done just now and that last one looks really clean with over 20K miles on it! BTW, the filters this setup uses are NAPA Gold Coolant Filter 4070 which I order online by the case for way cheaper than at NAPA)
DSCF0571  (Chris).jpg
IMG_1064.jpg DSCF0573  (Chris).jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't want to raise any alarms BUT, that last filter should not be black!!! OIL in collant. Check to make sure you don't have collant in the oil -ASAP...

·
OLD DINOSAUR
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't want to raise any alarms BUT, that last filter should not be black!!! OIL in coolant. Check to make sure you don't have coolant in the oil -ASAP...
VERY INTERESTING there, yeinif! and good catch. I kinda wondered about that when I cut it open and know that I have never seen one that was black but figured it was that color from the start due to some kind of a shift in suppliers to the manufacturer or something...never had any other indications yet like weird temps,coolant in the oil or anything else, BUT I went out into the shop and got another brand new never been used one out of the case and cut it open to have an up close and PERSONAL look at the color and guess what?? It is the usual brownish color like every other one I've seen..Now I'm going to have to dig into it more to see what the deal is here...and the BAD thing is that I was planning on leaving tomorrow morning (planned trip is about 1500 miles and it is Sunday now....ARRGH!!!! It is still darker than hell outside, so I'll have to wait a bit for it to get light (it's not yet 0630 here in NV and is still dark this time of year at that time). Will let you know what I find with further checking on this....I think I'll start with draining some oil and see if the bottom of the oil (should be first out of the drain, I'd think) shows any sign of water in it.Next will be to take a good, close look at the coolant, BTW, the pic is the brand new one (on the right) vs. the used one I just cut open on the left.

This could be a good "lesson learned" for me and/or all of us...I'm SURE that however it turns out, I'll be paying a LOT more attention to the color thing next time I remove and cut one open!

·
OLD DINOSAUR
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...next note here and what I've found so far: (1) first thing I pulled the dipstick and took a close look at the oil...looks completely normal for oil that has been in there for about 2.000 miles; (2) Drained a little oil out of the pan (engine has been sitting all night--not been ran since last night). Draining made easy because I have a valve setup on the drain instead of the usual plug....and The oil I got out of the bottom looks exactly as it should...no tiny blobs of water/coolant and the color is normal with no appearance of water having been thoroughly mixed in (which, as you probably know would make it kinda cloudy and somewhat grayish/milky looking; (3). Drained some coolant and it looks normal; (4) asked a buddy to look at both coolant sample and oil to get his opinion and his take is that both look NORMAL. (he is a quite experience mechanic ---a FORD guy-- and I just asked him to look at it without sticking MY opinion in there to maybe not get exactly what he saw/thought). See the pics with both oil and coolant in separate pans and tell me what YOU think, please.

My conclusion so far after all that is the oil is fine and there is no water in it, nor is there any indication of oil in the coolant. I think, so far, that I it is OK and will, at this point, likely go on the trip I had planned but watch it all REALLY CLOSE!

·
Project Shamu
2,719 Posts
I would send in an oil analysis and find out if there really is coolant in the oil.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,399 Posts
I wouldn't worry about having coolant in the oil, that is much less common, but an oil analysis is good cheap insurance for sure. You could drain all the coolant from it if you feel up to it, a 5 gallon bucket will hold it all just fine. I know when I got oil in the coolant in my old 7.3, it didnt show up in the coolant until I had drained probably a gallon or so out. I caught it real early though too. I saw oil floating at the top of the degas bottle, which is where you should see it too if you really had coolant in the oil. If that filter really is impregnated with that much oil, you should see it in your degas and coolant no problem at all.

·
OLD DINOSAUR
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I have a sample kit, so I think I will do a sample/oil analysis just as soon as I get back and hope it's not too late or that it doesn't go BANG on me while I'm gone..that would be bad enough happening while I'm on the road somewhere that I'd NOT want to do it myself like if I were at home! Now leaving in about 15 hours, so too late now, I guess. BUT, you are right about the DEGAS reservoir...I don't see any indication that there is oil in it and I agree...water/coolant in the oil is MUCH more common than oil in the coolant.How come this kinda crap, no matter what it is ALWAYS seems to happen on a Sunday---no matter if it is the washing machine quitting, something I don't like about one of the vehicles, etc!?!?!?

·
OLD DINOSAUR
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK...as promised, here is the filter I replaced this morning and then cut it open to look at (1) the color and (2) see what it is catching (or not). This is AFTER I made the trip I had planned---about 1600 miles towing a two axle trailer at 60 to 75 MPH most of the time....Used my OBDII/Bluetooth to my phone and/or pad setup to monitor EOT and COT the whole time and also looked at the HPOP pressure a lot and peeked at the FICM voltage fairly often.

The color looks like it should--nice light to
medium brown color filter element (see the pic) - I'm guessing that the coolant filter that was black a while back was some kind of a fluke that appeared after I had some EGR and Fuel Rail work done. The second thing is there seems to be nothing circulating in the coolant...and I LIKE THAT!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts