Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so you guys know, I have searched through 10 pages and couldn't find my answer lol. I am getting ready to do a DIY coolant filter system( my wifes car dealership has everything laying around so I'm getting it for free! ). My question is.....what is the recommended filter replacement time on a coolant filter? Like every oil change or what?

Thanks

Chad

·
Pitbull-Powerstroker
125 Posts
The 1st change is pretty quick as in 1k miles. Then maybe 3k and then at oil changes. The miles after you 1st install it its catching alot of crud.
The fail safe way is to put your hand on the filter when the truck is hot.
Hot coolant filter means its still working.
A filter that is not warm/hot means its clogged up and the coolant is bypassing

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that makes sense! Thank you so much for the quick info!

Chad

·
Powerstroke Fanatic
179 Posts
Most companies that build and sell the kits state change filter every 3 months for 9 months, then once a year after that. After 3 months, I had a fair amount of crud laying in the bottom of the filter, but still had good circulation. A cool little feature if your building your own DIY kit, install an inline fuel flow screen filter (normally found on quads/bikes/jetskis) and you can monitor how much return flow you have.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Install a couple of valves to shut the flow off web your ready to change it as well so you don't lose any.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both of those are really good ideas. Thank you guys for the help I'm pretty excited to do this since its an engine saver.

Chad

·
Powerstroke Fanatic
179 Posts
Definitely will help will longevity, heres a few pics I snapped when I changed my filter for the first time. This is what was just floating in the filter body itself, I assume the filter would retain majority of the particles.

Tranny filter on left, coolant on right

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
This was Bob's recomendation for filter changes at Dieselsite. Recommendations on filter changes:
Use one filter every three months for the first nine months after installation. The lack of flow into the expansion tank is an indication that your filter is plugged. Change the filter if it should plug before the 3-month interval. After the 4th filter is installed your filter should be changed once per year.
I was limited timewise plus living out in the country far from any parts houses, I got Dieselsites kit, great investment IMO.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm good on having someone else build it, I know adam is good but I want this to be my little project.....its simple and won't take too long.

Chad

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts