Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Coolant filter... Is it needed?

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  powerstroke6.4 
#1 ·
#8 ·
If you are going to install one I suggest you drain and refill the system while installing. It is not that much longer to do. Pull the drain on the driver side of the block and the pet-cock in the radiator. This will help getting a lot of the crap out before installing the filter. I had a coolant filter on my 6.0 also. I flushed it prior to installing that one also.

#9 ·
Have one also,helps with the oil cooler as well. Good PM.

#11 ·
I read, the main problem contaminating the coolant system is sand debris, leaching from the casted block. Thats why the Dieselsite recomends using one filter for a few weeks driving to catch all thats already there then change it out , the new one should be good for the much longer haul.

#12 ·
Do you guys think it's still a good idea to flush the cooling system every 60k miles if you have a filtration system or since it's constantly being filtered and having the filters changed there is no need to flush as often or at all?

#13 ·
had sand in every pleat. all the debris in the cooling system will the waterpump.

#14 ·
How much does a coolant filter run for?

#15 ·
It is about 130.00 including 1 filter. Dieselsite.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.