Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my water pump today, and in the process of that was going to install a coolant filter. My job carried over into the dark, so I couldn't see too well. I went to remove the port plug from next to the thermostat housing, and it seemed to me that the square was too big to use a 1/4 inch ratchet, and too small to use a 3/8 inch ratchet on it. Looking at the directions now, it says it's a 3/8, but I don't think that's right. I'm using a OEM water pump from diesel orings. Is it 3/8 inch? Or do I need something special to remove that plug?

Secondly, I got a billet tstat housing from diesel site too, and I notice my old housing had both a gasket for the housing and the tstat. Does the billet one only require the oring for the thermostat, and not one for the housing?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I just went outside with a flash light and took a closer look at the port plug. It appears that it's an Allen wrench. Does anyone know what size I need to get?

·
Registered
293 Posts
mine was square. 5/16. I bought a 3/8 socket extention and just ground a bit off each side and got it out that way.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was expecting mine to be a square too as I read in multiple places online, but it was definitely an Allen head. I just was out there and luckily ended up having the right size one to get it off.

Still wondering about the tstat housing if anyone knows.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its just one right that goes under the housing, right by the little lip of it. Then again could be different, I got the billet one with the 203 stat

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its just one right that goes under the housing, right by the little lip of it. Then again could be different, I got the billet one with the 203 stat
I'm assuming your talking about the thermostat oring?

I just got back from running it and had no leaks, so I guess the tstat oring is all that it's supposed to have. Thanks to both of you.

I might add too, I only have one complaint in regards to the diesel site filter : it pushes against the upper radiator hose, sort of crushing it, but I don't think enough to cause a problem.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Ya mine just had the o-ring around the thermostat and nothing between the billet housing and pump. I always put a film of rtv on both sides of the thermostat o-ring then assemble, wait for about 2 hrs (for the rtv to set up good) then add the hose and refill and never have a leak.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm assuming your talking about the thermostat oring?

I just got back from running it and had no leaks, so I guess the tstat oring is all that it's supposed to have. Thanks to both of you.

I might add too, I only have one complaint in regards to the diesel site filter : it pushes against the upper radiator hose, sort of crushing it, but I don't think enough to cause a problem.
Which hose? I got the dual alternator one when I did my water pump maybe the other one does? My filter itself doesnt hit it but the hose going from filter to the tank the ball valve sits on top of the hose. Two years later it doesnt look like it is rubbing through or anything.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the upper radiator hose. It was actually so tight of a fit, I had to detach the hose from the radiator just to get the filter screwed onto the base.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hmm that seems close. Not sure about that one. Maybe you can loosen up the bracket and slide it over just a bit

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think loosening it would work since there is 2 bolt holes, and it pretty much only has one position that it can sit in. I may end up just drilling new holes on the bracket, offsetting it a half inch or just to give a little more clearance

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with Jennifer from dieselsite, and she said that I can loosen the bolts on both sides, and shift the radiator over some to allow some more clearence; she said some trucks require that. Does anyone know if you actually can do that? Is that what you were talking about? It seems to me that it wouldn't help any, since the radiator hose will have to move with the radiator, leaving the original distance between the filter and hose the same

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Hey you!

It's just loosening the radiator support... that's what is adjustable and may need to be scooted a bit. As earlier, please feel free to call us when you get a chance in front of your truck and I'll have Brian walk you through it. I don't advise drilling into your bracket just yet!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey you!

It's just loosening the radiator support... that's what is adjustable and may need to be scooted a bit. As earlier, please feel free to call us when you get a chance in front of your truck and I'll have Brian walk you through it. I don't advise drilling into your bracket just yet!
Sounds good. I'll be home in about an hour and plan one checking it out then. If all works out good, I'll update the thread. If I do have any problems, I'll give yall a call back tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As of now, I couldn't get the radiator to shift. On my truck, there is just 4 bolt holes, 2 for each side, and these holes are round, not slotted, so it doesn't allow much, if any, adjustment. What I did do was loosened the 2 bolts holding the filter bracket, pushed on the side of the filter base, which allowed it to pivot a little bit towards the fender (which was just enough to not touch the hose anymore), and then retorqued those two bolts back down. As of now, it's not touching anymore, and I'm calling it good and I think it should stay as it is now. Once again, thanks for the help, and if I see that it moves back to the original position up against the hose, I'll give you a call back and talk to Brian. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yea mine dont touch but it is really close. Its good dont sweat it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea mine dont touch but it is really close. Its good dont sweat it
Mine was so close that it was actually crushing the upper radiator hose. I got it straight now though.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Does your hose go through the belt...if so down theline replace it with the other one.,.
it goes around the belt. 20 bucks well spent especially when changing the belt.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does your hose go through the belt...if so down theline replace it with the other one.,.
it goes around the belt. 20 bucks well spent especially when changing the belt.
Yea, I got the "go around the belt" hose when I replaced the belt a few months ago. I think that stock design is so stupid. I really wonder what ford was thinking when they did that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thats the hose I got. The through hose is silly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts