Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally changed the filter today. Around 500 miles since doing the flush, EGR delete and oil cooler replacement. Looks pretty nasty to me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what was in the bottom of the filter

·
Registered
298 Posts
exactly why i have mine on the way

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow ....
I just did a full flush with both restore products and Rotella ELC
I NEED to get a filter!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
That one is bad how many miles on it
I would be doing a distilled flush the pull the t/stat add this to the driverside block drain QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil add Restore 1/2 to 3/4 gallon fill with distilled water put some cardboard in front of the Radiator put about a hour of driving on it getting the temp up to 185-190* then just before you get home pull the cardboard then it will drop to around 120* then flush tell clean don't know if you did the Restore+ flush you may not need it thats for minerals this is slim slug. You may have this but it shows the drain
http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family1/truck/Powerstroke%20Cooling%20System%20Flush%20v1-0.pdf
2 stroker

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
I don't like that there is no way that should look like that if the flush 500 miles ago was done correctly.

I hope the filter was on there perhaps during the flush? otherwise I would be afraid for your new oil cooler's longevity.

Mine have never had anything close to that ,, just some casting sand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't like that there is no way that should look like that if the flush 500 miles ago was done correctly.

I hope the filter was on there perhaps during the flush? otherwise I would be afraid for your new oil cooler's longevity.
EXACTLY!

with the flush done 500 mile ago it should be cleaner....What procedure was used for this flush?

What coolant is currently being used?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have been running a coolant filter for the past 30k and never seen any of my filters look like that!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Maybe just drained all the coolant then added new coolant.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No the filter was not on during the flush.

No I did not go back to Ford coolant, bet lost sprayjock.

No I did not just drain the coolant and add new.

Yes my flush was done with the restore, restore plus and distilled water.

The only thing I did not do was pull the drivers side plug because I was unable to get it out.

The engine has 138,000 miles on it.

My concern after seeing the results is the new oil cooler as well.

I am going to change the filter again in about 300-500 miles.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't think changing in 3-500 miles will do a lot as they say That take the Cake something went wrong way wrong. If you could not get the block plug out that is some of the problem. This is what i would do pull the t/stat add restore block off the Rad and drive it like you stole it watch the temps then use the hose to flush i flush with distilled water but this is different the Rad has to be coated plus the heater core so you have to get the chemicals in to brake that crap down.:doh:
2 stroker

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think changing in 3-500 miles will do a lot as they say That take the Cake something went wrong way wrong. If you could not get the block plug out that is some of the problem. This is what i would do pull the t/stat add restore block off the Rad and drive it like you stole it watch the temps then use the hose to flush i flush with distilled water but this is different the Rad has to be coated plus the heater core so you have to get the chemicals in to brake that crap down.:doh:
2 stroker
So you're saying add restore to the coolant or drain the coolant and do another distilled water flush?

When I did the flush a few weeks ago I did pull the t stat and did the flush with the distilled water, restore and restore plus. I was afraid at that time that the rad and heater were caked with gunk as well bit after the first couple of flushes, the water was not that bad, was dirty but awful.

Just wondering as well if the oil cooler can be changed without removing the whole manifold again?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know when I did my flush a month ago I watched what was coming out to see how bad stuff was. The most gunk and goo came out when I pulled the drivers side plug it was like I un-corked a vat of slime.
I think your best bet is to recover and filter your coolant then do another round of restore just to be sure.
I hope you get good results!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
wow......il be pulling my filter this week, i sure hope mine doesnt look like that!!

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
I'm willing to bet that he went back with the ford coolant, just what it looks like to me.
what would that matter in 500 miles ?
I have always Motorcraft Gold in mine replaced at 50k when ford did the heads but like I stated it never looked like that even when I put my filter on at 45k

so now I wonder what is being type is being run since He mentioned it's not gold ?

I wonder if it reacted with something in the system ?

I would def not just throw another filter at it I would be doing a full flush

and like mentioned get the block drained on both sides
i would do this ASAP if it were mine

Good luck Brutha keep us posted and thanks for those pics thats crazy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Like Zmann said get both plugs out some how do the distilled water flush then the restore it's a must or you will not get it clean.
2 stroker

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now I am completely confused.

I just changed the filter again after about 400 miles from the last one. This one is alomost completely clean.

Only difference with this filter is that is the NAPA 4070 and not the WIX 24070. But that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts