Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i make my own coolant and external trans filters? i have the general idea, but if anyone can point me in the right direction here that would be great as i may save some coin down the road. also if you know where to get the parts that would be great as well. thank you.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Esternal trans filters have been known to be more bad than good in some cases. That being said. You can get a standard oil filter relocation kit and plumb it into you trans cooler setup. Pretty much the same thing goes for a coolant filter setup. Only difference is you would plumb it into the coolant lines.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and how would i install this into the coolant system and into the trans system?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Ok to install it into the trans system you have a few options depending on you current configuration. If you have an external trans cooler from the factory in front of your radiator you would remove the return line from the cooler and run one line from your external filter system into the return port on the cooler and then you would join the return line from the cooler that you took off with the other line from the filter system. The other way to do it is if you don't have an external cooler(which you should have one on there anyway) you would remove the return line from the radiator and run one line from the filter to the return port on the radiator and the other line from the filter to the return line you removed from the radiator.

Coolant system plumbing would be to remove one line from the heater core and plumb one line from filter system to it and the other line from the filter system gets plumbed back into the cooling system where the other end of the heater core hose you took off went into.

·
Heath
441 Posts
Personally i would get diesel sites filters. Bob has his stuff figured out and does it safely! and their not priced that bad--i think 100 a piece. Diy will run you like 35-40 for a filter base with a bypass plus fabing a bracket hoses fitting and filter. For the 30-40 more I would go with Bobs for piece of mind of knowing its right and safe

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Look at Magnafine for a lower cost way to do transfilter. I am not sure if any sponsors do a trans filter set up.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
I bought Bob's of Dieselsite trans filter kit and I thought it was a fair deal with the filter, filter stand, braided hoses, adaptor fittings and and an optional backpressure guage. And he is a sponsor.....

I don't know if a sponsor sells a coolant filter kit. The kits are out there though, and International sells a water pump that has an integral coolant filter that may be the best setup for a coolant filter especially if you have an intercooler.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
The coolant filter setup is a bypass type (so you're only filtering a portion of the coolant at any point in time). You don't want a full flow setup for this application. I made mine using a Napa bypass filter base and some brass tees and hose barbs. I don't know if I still have the parts list hanging around anywhere (I'll look).

I have the Dieselsite setup on my 97. You need to make sure that the filter base used has a bypass should the filter clog up and that it is setup so that the flow doesn't get to restricted before it does bypass (can ruin a tranny that way). The filters also don't need to filter down to superfine levels either (I think Bob's Baldwin filters are 20 micron). Cheers!

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
how can i make my own coolant and external trans filters? i have the general idea, but if anyone can point me in the right direction here that would be great as i may save some coin down the road. also if you know where to get the parts that would be great as well. thank you.
It's easy to make your own. You can buy the stuff to make them at almost any auto parts store. I don't think you will save any money by doing your own. I made my coolant filter setup because I didn't like any of the ready made kits I had seen. I spent close to $200 for the stuff.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
It's easy to make your own. You can buy the stuff to make them at almost any auto parts store. I don't think you will save any money by doing your own. I made my coolant filter setup because I didn't like any of the ready made kits I had seen. I spent close to $200 for the stuff.
I would be interested to see your setup since you went a different path then what is availble to purchase.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I didn't take any pictures of it. I purchased all the parts at local auto parts stores except for the filter base mounting bracket. I made that from a piece of ¼" x 3" strap I already had. I got everything at NAPA except the hoses and tees. I bought the hoses from Advance Auto and the tees from O'Reilly's. The filter is mounted underneath the truck behind the drivers side front wheel splash guard.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
I don't like them. I would rather the lines connect on the sides instead of the top. I'd look at something like a Wix 51622 and 24764.

·
Registered
37 Posts
International has a water pump that has a filter on it, I remember someware it bolt right on and with a fue bolt changes good luck Mont

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I have pix on how I did my coolant filter in the link below look in the truck pix folder.

Cheers,

jrc

·
Let'er Buck!
1,685 Posts
I have pix on how I did my coolant filter in the link below look in the truck pix folder.

Cheers,

jrc
JRC - I can't access webshots here at work due to a virus aquired a couple of months ago. Sucks cause I can't even use my webshots account anymore. Is there anyway you can post up the pics in the thread. I'm wanting to build my own coolant filter setup because I really don't like the prefabbed kits I've seen thus far.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Here ya go.....

jrc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts