Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting in a new radiator today. do I just fill it by the overfill tank or is there a trick?

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
I filled the radiator with a funnel and then added to overflow as needed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Filling it at the coolant bottle will also fill the radiator, no need to pre fill it.
That's why there is that small hose from the top of the radiator to the reservoir, it lets the air out as the coolant goes in through the bottom hose on the rad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, works fine! didn't notice the big tube under the resevoir! LOL

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
no all wrong... the only way to fill these engines is with vacuum filler. it puts the cooling system in a vacuum, sucks all the hoses down... if you do it any other way, the air bubbles will never go away. These cause cavitation and blow egr and oil cooler.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
there are only a few of us here....

·
Registered
42 Posts
no all wrong... the only way to fill these engines is with vacuum filler. it puts the cooling system in a vacuum, sucks all the hoses down... if you do it any other way, the air bubbles will never go away. These cause cavitation and blow egr and oil cooler.
I hear ya. I have the mac tools version I had to purchase whenfilling the system in my track car - made me realize I should have bought one years ago. The cooling system runs from the front to the back with many flaps along the way. There is no way to bleed the system without driving it and risking overheating or the vacuum method.

I ordered the Ford 6.0 cap for my kit since I will be flushing the system very soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts