Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently suffered a radiator failure that led to a dealer replacement radiator with a Motorcraft Gold [VC-7-B] fill in my system without a proper, Gooch-type full flush of the system. I had done the Gooch flush replacing existing Motorcraft Gold with CAT ELC only 8k miles ago. Result is a reddish-gold color, and, obviously, reduced coolant life expectancy given the Ford Gold's limitations. See, for example, Ford TSB 09-08-05, calling for charging Gold with SCA additive [VC-8] depending on test results. I did find a Fleetguard Tech Bulletin [TB-3/05-2, dtd 2005] claiming compatiblity between Fleetguard's OAT ELC coolants [ES Compleat, Fleetcool, etc.] and Ford Gold, CAT LEC, Zerex G-05, etc. The money quote: "there is in fact no technical merit in saying the coolants cannot be mixed." Given this, I lean toward leaving the mix of 'fresh' Ford Gold with some CAT ELC for the next year or two [10-25k miles] before spending the time and money [$100+ for 4 gallons of CAT or Fleetguard ELC] for another Gooch flush'n'fill. Anyone have strong feelings for or against? By the way, I have a coolant filter installed [non-SCA charged] Thx.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
I think the CAT ELC is designed to be mixed up to 10% with another coolant, not sure about a mostly Motorcraft mix. I would think the antifreeze and cooling capabilities should be fine with the mix, but I would keep a close eye on the SCA #'s though to prevent any issues. I personally would eat the $100 and change it again, Ive run Motorcraft Gold in several vehicles, diesel and gas, and cant say Im impressed at all, especially with CAT ELC being fairly comparable in price without the SCA issues and having a longer change interval.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
X2, I'ld go ahead and change it and be done with it. When I did mine and went to International to get the Fleetguard, salesman talked me into the Prestone ELC which was around half the cost of the Fletguard. Told me it was the same just in a different bottle. I've been happy with it and its not to often you get a salesman that wants to save you money lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
I run Peak Fleetcharge. It is a heavy duty conventional, it comes pre-charged with SCA's. I work for a big rig dealership and I've seen what ELC does, overtime it crystallizes on egr coolers, water pumps etc. A lot of owners drain their ELC and go for standard green with an additive or the heavy duty conventional. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I run the standard green with the cavitational additive no issues here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts