Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a couple questions about the tests that I have performed on my truck.

First when I run the cylinder contribution test cylinders 3 and 8 fail the test.

Also I performed the Rotational velocity tests and find that cylinder 3 is 2.0-3.5% cylinder 8 is 2.9-4.1% Also cylinder 2 is .4% and cylinder 5 is .1%. These will all go to zero when I gently step on the throttle.

But I was wondering since cylinders 3 and 8 fail the test would that mean that these injectors are bad? I am thinking that this is any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Typically if cylinders 3 and 8 fail together, it's because you are running a grey CPS. I'm assuming you've got a grey CPS or went to Ford for the CPS recall.

Also the rotational velocity checks are only done at idle, which is why they all zero out when you hit the throttle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I am running a grey cps as I can't find a black one anywhere. Well I guess that will be something to look into again. Do you know of anyone that sells them?

·
Heath
441 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the dark grey/purple o-ring one from the IH dealer and then re did the test with the same results. Would that mean that these cps are no good as well?

This weekend I am thinking that I am going to try and swap a couple injectors around and see if the problem moves. Also would the valve cover harness cause an issue like this? Any other insight would be appreciated.

Also I tried to max out my HPOP tonight on the way home, in sixth gear 60mph-85mph I got 1600-1650 psi and 85-90% ICP I am wondering if I have other sensor issues other then a real bad HPOP.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a black one and installed it. Now it passes the test. Looks like the dark grey with purple o ring aren't any better then the light grey ones:mad:

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
Found a black one and installed it. Now it passes the test. Looks like the dark grey with purple o ring aren't any better then the light grey ones:mad:
Good info.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Also I tried to max out my HPOP tonight on the way home, in sixth gear 60mph-85mph I got 1600-1650 psi and 85-90% ICP I am wondering if I have other sensor issues other then a real bad HPOP.

Thanks
Holy crap..... are you running any kind of juice box or resistor on your ICP sensor? That is really low.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy crap..... are you running any kind of juice box or resistor on your ICP sensor? That is really low.
Nope just a Chip from Beans.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Nope just a Chip from Beans.
Is your IPR DC% above 50? If it is and it is only holding that much pressure your pump is shot or you have a bad or leaking injector. Bean's chips are good and shouldn't be wasting oil. Also check and make sure the sheetmetal nut hasn't fallen off the back of the IPR.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt that's what Jonathan and I have come to the conclusion. I have pressure tested the heads and they are fine. I have also removed all of the injectors and resealed with new external o-rings. So the only thing left is the HPOP. Also the IPR and ICP are both new.:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts