Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

I've been driving my 97 f250 7.3/zf5 eclb for almost 12 years now and its been a great truck - that being said the rust is catching up with it and now that I have a family its tough with car seats - I either have to put my sons seat in front or have him in back which leaves me with my knees against the dash......

Anyways, I've been poking around at newer trucks.

-new diesels are way out of my budget
-used diesels are way overpriced
-don't want a gas hd truck
-if I go new it will have to be a stx f150 supercrew - local dealer have these discounted pretty well

I was pretty much set on the f150 but my wife started busting my balls saying they're girls trucks...... which relative to my current obs they are pretty lame...

So now I'm looking at 6.0's, namely 05-07's - seems like these can be had much cheaper than the other brands due to the 6.0's bad rep. I've read up on all the problem areas and am sure I could handle the work myself and I do have access to a lift for doing head gaskets/studs.

Will I regret a 6.0?

·
Registered
875 Posts
anyone looking at buying a 6.0 I usually tell them plan on 7k to fix it, If you can do the work plan on 5k once updated properly the 6.0 is a decent overall truck. Don't plan on racing it mild tuning and good maintenance they will serve you for long time

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
I don't think you will regret it, my wife and I had a discussion about the 6.0 and what it would eventually need to be as reliable as possible and we both decided that with what we could save on the actual purchase of a 6.0 because of it's bad rep that we would be willing to dump the money into it. Here in wyoming dealers can't get rid of 6.0's because nobody buys them here. Great news for me, my truck booked at 25k dealer asked 20k after afew hours of haggling, got it for 14,700 all said and done by the time the loan is paid, and including the cost of the updates/bullit proofing/and just cuz mods I'll be into it for 21k and that's not too bad since I can't buy a new 6.7 for that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't think you will regret it, my wife and I had a discussion about the 6.0 and what it would eventually need to be as reliable as possible and we both decided that with what we could save on the actual purchase of a 6.0 because of it's bad rep that we would be willing to dump the money into it. Here in wyoming dealers can't get rid of 6.0's because nobody buys them here. Great news for me, my truck booked at 25k dealer asked 20k after afew hours of haggling, got it for 14,700 all said and done by the time the loan is paid, and including the cost of the updates/bullit proofing/and just cuz mods I'll be into it for 21k and that's not too bad since I can't buy a new 6.7 for that.
:whs: That's why I have 3 of them CHEAP!

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Dollar for dollar you can build a MONSTER 6.0 and transmission for cheaper than the newer trucks. I think this could even be done to a 6.4L motor. They all have their own issues it's up to you where and how you want to spend your money.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats how I'm looking at it - I can do all the work myself so the cost really isn't all that bad. How many miles was on yours when you got it?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Will I regret a 6.0?
Maybe sometimes when working on it when you'd rather be doing other things, but in all, nope. Awesome truck.

oh and as a side note - I will not be selling my OBS - so she'll be around for backup duty
I've read up on all the problem areas and am sure I could handle the work myself and I do have access to a lift for doing head gaskets/studs.
Perfect. Mine is rarely a daily driver, and there is no way I could afford it if someone was doing all the work for me.

[Besides the fact that I like owning what the general public classifies as a "lemon" (I also have a 3rd gen V8 SHO and a 2.0 CR Jetta TDI)...] I also picked a 6.0 because very nice trucks can be had for cheap. I paid $10.5k for mine with 157k miles on the clock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts