Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got the Southbend clutch in, and am experiencing the extra noise at idle and clutch out. I have heard of guys overfilling the tranny from the top to help with this issue. I am looking for experience here, who has done it, and what is your opinion? Also any synthetic fluid better than the rest? I am hoping to do a fluid change this weekend and would like to get my ducks in a row.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Subscribed. Did you opt for a single-mass flywheel? No direct experience, but I just read on one of the other sites that an extra quart can reduce the gear rollover noise you get with the SMF. We're presently running Mobil 1 in both ours (SMF, Luk non-performance clutch), not overfilled. and to be honest, I'm not real pleased with the shifting at low temperatures. Gonna follow this thread to see if overfilling might help with this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I went single mass, and I have a fair amount of gear rollover, mine shifts like crap cold too... I have heard some guys say AMSOIL is the only fluid to put in it, but I didn't like Amway shampoo so I am not so sure :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Does your cold shifting seem worse with the new clutch / flywheel? Or just "no better".

Another synth that I've read is good for manuals that take ATF is an Allison/Castrol product called TranSynd. Supposedly available at truck stops.

(Do NOT use Amway shampoo; you will get suds coming up out from under the shifter boot....)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I run Redline MTL 4 quarts and it works great in the ZF-5. Roll over noise will be increased with the single mass setup.... time for a bigger stereo...

jrc

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting thing is the truck had a LUK single mass in it, and it wasn't as loud in the rollover dept as the Southbend. I think the cold shifting may be a little worse with the new ckutch, but it has always sucked. May replace the hydraulics, but don't want to just throw parts at something that good fluid change may solve first.. I have plenty of other issues to throw parts at :evil

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Hydraulics/actuation might be a contributing factor. You can measure the hydraulics performance. Get an assistant in the cab and slide under the truck. Have the assistant work the clutch, all the way to the floor, while you measure the movement of the very tip of the fork. It should move at least 1/2" - 5/8".

One "slop" point in the clutch actuation is the crappo bushing on the pushrod eyelet. There's a fancy Heim joint fix for it, or you can adjust the arm (remove it from the pivot and reposition it on the splines) and replace the plastic bushing with a piece of 1/2"OD x 7/16"ID brass, and put a 7/16" drill stop collar on the "ball" on the arm to keep it in place. Snugs it up some, anyway.

Dang, no one else has any overfill experience to report?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ALOT of AUTOMATIC trucks!!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Interesting thing is the truck had a LUK single mass in it, and it wasn't as loud in the rollover dept as the Southbend. I think the cold shifting may be a little worse with the new ckutch, but it has always sucked. May replace the hydraulics, but don't want to just throw parts at something that good fluid change may solve first.. I have plenty of other issues to throw parts at :evil
Long Story short version....Try the RedLine MTL and overfill with 4 quarts. Used to have (prior to full rebuild) grinding syncroes 3rd to 2nd shift especially when cold. Put in RedLine MTL smartened it right up. Now after full rebuild used it again.

jrc

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a LUK clutch and SMF put in earlier this summer. The guy at the shop said to bring it back to flush the fluid out and put new fluid in after about 2 weeks or 1000 miles. I then put Amsoil ATF in it, just to the top of the regular fill hole. I don't have any roll over noise and it shifts fine when "cold". Though I do live in Houston and the coldest it has been was like 55 a few days ago. I told him I wanted a clutch that could hold 450 hp, which is what he said he put in.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Up here, 55F is not "cold"; more like a typical fall day. I only notice the labored shifting when it gets down to temps that y'all down in Texas don't even know exist.

So did they actually flush some intermediate fluid through the tranny, or just drain out what was in there and refill with the Amsoil? Seems odd they'd recommend that after a clutch job; you don't even need to open up the tranny when you pull it for the clutch R&R. I could see a fluid replacement after a "break-in" period following an internal tranny rebuild, but what is it about the clutch job that would call for a tranny fluid replacement afterward?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I run all redline in my German cars and love it, I think I will try the redline this weekend, do Is pulling the shifter fairly self explanatory?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Yeah it is. Don't rip the inner shifter boot or you'll get lots of noise through it (it's a double boot ... inner and then the "trim'). also when pulling the shifter stub (after removing the main part which has 2 bolts holding it to the stub), make sure you don't drop the white rectangular bushing on each side into the tranny. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
^^^^ One mistake people make is to try to pull the whole boot up over the shifter. DON'T try that; I think that's how our shop tore up the white inner boot on our ECLB. Just unscrew the frame/bezel and lift up just enough to get at those two bolts. Leave boot on shifter as you remove it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just replaced the plastic trim piece and my boot is torn, have a rag in there now as it is TOO loud!! :) Thanks for all of the help, I will report back this weekend with new fresh juice in here..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Up here, 55F is not "cold"; more like a typical fall day. I only notice the labored shifting when it gets down to temps that y'all down in Texas don't even know exist.

So did they actually flush some intermediate fluid through the tranny, or just drain out what was in there and refill with the Amsoil? Seems odd they'd recommend that after a clutch job; you don't even need to open up the tranny when you pull it for the clutch R&R. I could see a fluid replacement after a "break-in" period following an internal tranny rebuild, but what is it about the clutch job that would call for a tranny fluid replacement afterward?
Sorry I should have said that I had the whole tranny rebuilt at the same time. I think they just drained whatever they put in and put in the amsoil I brought them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I overfilled mine last time. Will not do it again. Not only did i loose fuel econ but now i have developed a leak. good waste of synth oil

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Not only did i loose fuel econ
:eek: Anyone else experience this?

but now i have developed a leak. good waste of synth oil
My wife was wondering about this when I mentioned this thread to her (it's her truck, so....). Worried about it leaking out the input shaft / quill seal. That's actually what happens when you overfill the manny tranny in my Saturn. Have you found the location of the leak?

·
Registered
926 Posts
interesting... i have 8 qts in my zf5 i believe..or 7? was desperate to get rid of the growl. zero leaks and zero change in fuel econ. you have a crapper trans i guess

·
Registered
467 Posts
Had reverse gear and reverse syncro changed in my truck..

Filled thru the top and never checked the level thru the case plug..

After a few hundred miles I started having a gring here and a gring there..

Checked the fluid and realized it was over full...

Talked to my trans guy and he said that the problem is the fluid is getting airated and causings the syncros to have lack of lub...

After draining to oil down.. most grinding has gon but once in a while now I get a grind....

Take it for what its worth..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts