Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the posts and stuff on Turbo Surge everyone says it happens under load or when your given it hell. I havent seen this though. It happens when im running 65mph give or take. Its happened at slower speeds as well. The sounds everyone is describing sounds the same. I just wanna make sure i guess. ANyone have any ideas?? Surge or no surge??

·
Registered
257 Posts
i could watch my boost gauge fluctuate about 2-3 lbs

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. I dont have a boose gauge but im going to assume its the turbo surge. Another thing is with my chip i got a service engine light on economy mode going uphill! Not sure what this could be. I just hope its not my HPOP going out or something. any ideas?

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
you probably need a boost fooler.

and why are you running a chip with no guages?

·
Registered
545 Posts
:whs:

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the gauges! Sorry havent posted that on the Sig yet. Pyro and Trans temp. I have a boost fooler, inline to the map sensor! Thats why the confusion.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Because you ARE experiencing SURGE.

A boost fooler will not fix your concern since the surge happens on a stock turbo between 15-19 PSI and around 1800 RPM.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
If it sounds like a pressure cooker going psst psst psst it is surge.
Try a wicked wheel

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no psst psst psst. Just a fluttering sound/ vibration. not a lot of vibration but fluttering. Of course im not under the hood when it happens. ;) just hearing it from the cab. I just dont hear the psst. ;)

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Boost fooler won't have any thing to do with surge.I don't know what you mean by "fluttering".Just buy a WW and be done with it.Its a cheap mod. and you'll be happy with it either way.

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have one on the way! N thanks for the help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
try this

·
In Deep.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats exactly what it sounded like! With a little vibration. i installed the WW and on the way home from a half hour drive when i let off of the gas to coast into town it did it again. lot as long or bad but it did. Im gonna drive it some more to see if it still does it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My understanding is it does more damage when it happens under load. If it happens when you let off the gas it is not as bad. A ported housing is the next option.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The sound you are hearing is it when you let off the throttle? As that is not the damaging surge others are speaking of. That is the pressure pushin back thru the intake as there is a drop off from letting off the throttle which is compeltley normal. That is not the same issue as when you are on the throttle and you get that sound in the video.

The ww works some of the time but not always. The ported housing, like the one from ATS, works eveytime that I have seen reported on stock turbos. I would not sure it with the WW together if you want to be able to hear yourself think as its a very loud combo IMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts