Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering going from a Mickey Thompson ATZ with a load rating E all the way down to a load rating XL ( toyo proxes) classified as a passenger tire. That’s like 3 levels lower then a load E. How could this be safe on an 8,000# daily driver on Chicago's ####ty pot holed streets? Are there any performance / street tires with a Load rating of at least D?

I remember on my old 6.0 I had load D tires and even at 50psi the fronts would look a little flat. Now if I put XL's on my even heavier 6.4 how would that work?

Need advise here....

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
Every component on that beautiful truck of yours has been selected based on its ability to perform as expected at the least weight and cost possible. The theories are proven with rigorous testing and quality control. ALL manufactures of 3/4 ton and up pickups specify load range E tires. D's are close, but don't meet the specs. technically. While you may mount inferior tires on your truck and get away without consequences you should not doubt the knowledge that already exists about what is truly correct.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I would not put anything under a 120-123 load rating (e rating) on a 3/4 ton truck or larger.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
A lot of D rated tires have a higher lb rating than some of the E tires. Read the number, not just the load rating.

That said, I wouldn't go below a D. I put D's on my truck just because I rarely tow or haul anything and it makes the truck ride a LOT nicer. DO NOT put a passenger tire on there though....

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
I'm considering going from a Mickey Thompson ATZ with a load rating E all the way down to a load rating XL ( toyo proxes) classified as a passenger tire. That’s like 3 levels lower then a load E. How could this be safe on an 8,000# daily driver on Chicago's ####ty pot holed streets? Are there any performance / street tires with a Load rating of at least D?

I remember on my old 6.0 I had load D tires and even at 50psi the fronts would look a little flat. Now if I put XL's on my even heavier 6.4 how would that work?

Need advise here....
Not to derail but with 50 in my d's they have NO bulge in the sidewall....at 22 there was a slight bulge....

find out the weight capacity of each tire at operating pressure and weigh out each axle of your truck. If you dont haul anything thats all you need to know...

I run D's on mine but dont ever see high speeds when towing anything. If you are running on the highway alot and towing while doing it then stay with smaller tires and an e rating.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Every component on that beautiful truck of yours has been selected based on its ability to perform as expected at the least weight and cost possible. The theories are proven with rigorous testing and quality control. ALL manufactures of 3/4 ton and up pickups specify load range E tires. D's are close, but don't meet the specs. technically. While you may mount inferior tires on your truck and get away without consequences you should not doubt the knowledge that already exists about what is truly correct.
One has to check the actual weight rating on the tire at a certain psi. I have stated previously that my "d" rated baja claws are rated at 3235 per tire at 50 psi...a ld truck frontend isnt gonna exceed that. Towing could be a situation where the e would be needed but anybody that tows everyday or heavy, knows better than lifts, tires, and anything else that affects the towing capacity/performance.

To the OP-do you tow? Are you lifted?

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Before going just by weight rating you might want to check out the ply's that are in an E range tire vs a D range tire. Theres more to a tire than just what weight it can handle.

Most D range tires are 8 ply or thinner. E's are 10 ply's at least.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Before going just by weight rating you might want to check out the ply's that are in an E range tire vs a D range tire. Theres more to a tire than just what weight it can handle.

Most D range tires are 8 ply or thinner. E's are 10 ply's at least.
Isnt that in and of the design though? I mean a d that takes 50lbs doesnt need ten plies as its not holding 85-100lbs of air in. The higher the internal pressure with a load applied will greatly increase the tires tendency to wanna pull apart with that air pressure and load.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Isnt that in and of the design though? I mean a d that takes 50lbs doesnt need ten plies as its not holding 85-100lbs of air in. The higher the internal pressure with a load applied will greatly increase the tires tendency to wanna pull apart with that air pressure and load.
The E rated tires have better sidewall construction.

Load index is the other key

a 123 rating is about 3400lbs at max pressure (cold).
a 120 rating is about 3100lbs at max pressure (cold).

On the same size tire, in a D rating could be in the 110-115 load index which would be in the 2300-2500lbs at max pressure (cold).

With the weight of our trucks, E rated with a 120 index is the minimum I would ever use. And for the street performance guys that run the proxxies, I think they have a 120 index due to stiffer sidewalls.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
I carry an 800 lb plow in the winter and it's a nasty load on the front axle with the 6.4. Most of your tires are available in D but E's sometimes you have to look long and hard then pay the big coin for what you like.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ive wondered about this myself.....but Im sure one of the guys here will chime in with what they think.
Mike and Jeff both run Proxes on their trucks and dont seem to have many problems......so I guess we can wait and see what light they can shed

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
The E rated tires have better sidewall construction.

Load index is the other key

a 123 rating is about 3400lbs at max pressure (cold).
a 120 rating is about 3100lbs at max pressure (cold).

On the same size tire, in a D rating could be in the 110-115 load index which would be in the 2300-2500lbs at max pressure (cold).

With the weight of our trucks, E rated with a 120 index is the minimum I would ever use. And for the street performance guys that run the proxxies, I think they have a 120 index due to stiffer sidewalls.
Better in relation to what? Thickness? Stiffness?

The op said he runs a plow so he should only be looking at E and in smaller sizes. I like stock size tires, no lift, and lower gearing for a plow truck. Lifts suck on plow trucks, imo.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Better in relation to what? Thickness? Stiffness?

The op said he runs a plow so he should only be looking at E and in smaller sizes. I like stock size tires, no lift, and lower gearing for a plow truck. Lifts suck on plow trucks, imo.
Honestly, both.

Depending on the manufacture, they could use stiffer material OR increase the thickness... and in turn, make it stiffer. Some manufactures use Kevlar reinforcement. With tires, you get what you pay for.

And with tires, everyone has a different opinion. I have not, and won't mention any brand. Just pay attention to the load index rating. Hell, just look on your the door of your truck or the owner's manual. I swear I remember reading something about running Load range E tires only. And I think the lowest "E" rated tire is a 120 load index. Some call it a "E1" rating. I personally run 123's.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A lot of D rated tires have a higher lb rating than some of the E tires. Read the number, not just the load rating.

That said, I wouldn't go below a D. I put D's on my truck just because I rarely tow or haul anything and it makes the truck ride a LOT nicer. DO NOT put a passenger tire on there though....
:whs:
Im running D rated tires on my truck now.. I dont tow a lot anymore usually a small trailer and 4whlr.. Truck rides a hell of a lot nicer and smoother.. I looked at the proxes also, but went with some roadian hp tires.. im gonna be moving up to the toyo open country a/t's in a d rated tire next time around..

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
my tires are D rated but they are 37x18x13.5 toyo M/T's and tow a little bit with them and they seem to do good?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies. I’m not going to run anything less than load D rating due to the high mileage I drive. I don’t know how some guys run those tires without issues. I’m looking for a 32’’ tall tire specifically a 305/50-20 but it doesn’t look like I will find a tire that size that’s safe to run… Anyone know anything about the Nitto Dura Grapplers? I could not get my ATZ’s to hook up at all; I could spin those tires 40mph+ causing them to wear very fast.

·
--------
551 Posts
I've been running Proxes S/T 305/50-20 since july 2003 without issue. I've pulled a couple different trailers with a max weight of about 9,000 lbs. The Proxes in this size is 32.1" tall, has a 120 load rating, V speed rating, and are reinforced.

See here http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-st

The weight rating on the sidewall is 3086 lbs. @ 50 PSI.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
some of the replies in this thread are beyond ignorant. if a tire has a rating of 3086, how is that an issue? you plan on having 4k in tongue weight on your trailer? i plan on towing like a mofo with mine...ill let you know if they dont work.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I don't ever tow, so I ain't to worried about my tires.....this truck sees 75% highway driving and 25% stop light to stop light driving. The only other thing it will do is make passes at the track. I have already put 3,000 miles on my Proxes and haven't had a single issue with them. They don't bulge and they ride great.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts