Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a compressor/tank combo to the F350... The plan is to use it to air up tires, and lightly use some air tools on calls. I found the Warn VTC, but really dont wanna spend 5-600 bucks on a compressor and single gallon tank. The plan is to use a 12V compressor, and source a couple 6-8" diameter air tanks from a semi.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any advice you guys you would give?

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
i put a viair (sp) in my toolbox. it was a tank/compressor combo. i just seperated the tank from the compressor to make them fit like i wanted. this way, the compressor is out of the weather and no one knows unless they look in the box or get an air horn up their butt! :D

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
I'm running a Viair 460C into a tank I got off of a big truck at the junkyard. Compressor is under the hood where the driver side battery goes. Tank is outside the frame under the rear passenger door.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Viair stuff looks pretty neat... Any chance that with a big truck tank, I could run a small impact for short periods of time?

I've got a few friends in the lowrider community who might be able to give me a hand with all of it as well. Looking to plumb the tanks together and bring up a quick connect in the bed, and run hoses from there.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
with enough tank capacity, you could run some small tools.. just dont know for how long. the viair fills tanks pretty quickly, so you just have to take it slow with the impact! i am running the oem tank now, but a 7 gallon is going in when i redo it. whatever you do, use soft air hose for the whole plumbing job. i have done it both ways, and the hard lines always leak. :mad:

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
i'm running a pair of viair 480C compressors mounted outboard to the frame under the cab on the passenger side, and the 3 gallon tank is a little further back, under the bed.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually got a KILLER deal on a Viair setup... A single 480, with a 5 gallon tank and all the plumbing/tubing/fittings that I'll need for less than 100 bucks! I love having friends in the lowrider community, lol.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
with enough tank capacity, you could run some small tools.. just dont know for how long. the viair fills tanks pretty quickly, so you just have to take it slow with the impact! i am running the oem tank now, but a 7 gallon is going in when i redo it. whatever you do, use soft air hose for the whole plumbing job. i have done it both ways, and the hard lines always leak. :mad:
I'd recommend against using soft line depending on the pressure you plan on running. 200 psi through soft lines isn't generally a good idea.

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
I actually got a KILLER deal on a Viair setup... A single 480, with a 5 gallon tank and all the plumbing/tubing/fittings that I'll need for less than 100 bucks! I love having friends in the lowrider community, lol.
That's an incredible deal. I think I paid almost 3 times that just for my 480C a few years ago.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hence the reason I jumped when he said a price. The compressor and tank are both in used condition, but for that price, I'll happily paint/hide what I have to. Now it's just stopping to install it all, as well as the exhaust and gauges that are currently taking up residence at my buddy's shop, lol.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Dang that's a really sweet deal. I would love to add one of these setups someday :drool:

You should check out bamasixgun's setup, not sure the specs but he has a small air hose reel up under the bed side too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts