Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a compression test trying to chase white smoke at startup issue. I tested the truck cold with all of the glow plugs removed. I cranked it until the psi peaked. I am not sure if this is the way I was supposed to after reading a few things saying to crank 5 times and use that pressure. I tested every cylinder twice. Here are the results.
2-360 1-360
4-360 3-350
6-360 5-380
8-420 8-365

i don’t know how accurate the gauge is. It’s a 1000psi gauge I borrowed from someone. Used the snap on whip to connect.

·
Administrator
8,544 Posts
those numbers are a little low, but nothing would worry about if the engine runs good. you may just have a bad glow plug, or a leaking injector
what year engine?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Have you measured the injector armature plate clearances? Worn poppets will cause white smoke at startup. New injectors will be around 0.004" clearance, while worn is less than 0.002". My 94 (240k miles at the time) used to have the white smoke at startup with known good GP system (Stancor relay, new GPs, etc). Some of the injectors were down to 0.0015" of armature plate clearance. Another item to maybe check. Cheers!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the armature plates under the solenoid? These injectors are fresh rebuilt 180/30. From what I am learning the builders don’t mess with the solenoid just the mechanical side. I do have codes for 2 injectors high to low open and quiet on the buzz test.My next step is to swap the solenoids over with two other cylinders and see if the issue follows. I had the white smoke issue before the injector work

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Yes, the armature plates are directly under the solenoids. If you have a solenoid off, do a quick check. It's the poppet/seat that creates the clearance and that's mechanical. Cheers!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I fix the armature plate if the clearance isn’t correct? I will be checking this on the two injectors I am going to swap the solenoids on. I guess if they aren’t in check I should check the other 6? Is the armature plate clearance something the builder would have found wrong during a flow test?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck is a 97 with 170k

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing I am going to replace is the cps. Apparently the gray recall cps has been giving people issues. I still have that in there and it’s probably 10 years old

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Usually the injectors have to be rebuilt to fix worn poppets. They do sell shim kits (might take some hunting to find them), but I think that is just a band-aid fix. I don't have any experience using that type of kit. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy maybe too much fuel or water in some bad fuel or you are little burning of antifrezz?? I would put some conditioner in the fuel before getting too crazy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would water in fuel, burning antifreeze clear up after the truck runs for a while?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a video of what it’s doing

·
Administrator
8,544 Posts
What does the smoke smell like,oil, antifreeze, or diesel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts