Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is what 2 turbos would you guys use if you were going with compound twin turbos.the turbos would need to be used for towing.any suggestion would be welcome.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Stop calling them twins, they are compounds, nothing TWIN about them. What kind of fueling would you be using? If you want to go with Garretts, 1.0 AR exhaust housing on a GT38R and a GT47 like charles did, or Turbonetics with a BB 1.0 drop in turbo and a 76 or 78 for the big one.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Stop calling them twins, they are compounds, nothing TWIN about them. What kind of fueling would you be using? If you want to go with Garretts, 1.0 AR exhaust housing on a GT38R and a GT47 like charles did, or Turbonetics with a BB 1.0 drop in turbo and a 76 or 78 for the big one.
Why not? Twins in parallel, or twins compounded? Still got two of em.

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking the same set up for like the dummins from bd or industrial injections turbos like phat shaft 62 for primary and k31 for secondary but im not to familiar with making my own compound turbos so thats why i ask for help.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Why not? Twins in parallel, or twins compounded? Still got two of em.
twins by definition is the same. compounds are different. twins = parallel, or similar to the set up on the 335i BMW (two small turbos on an I6 - each one connected to exhaust for 3cyl).
i was thinking the same set up for like the dummins from bd or industrial injections turbos like phat shaft 62 for primary and k31 for secondary but im not to familiar with making my own compound turbos so thats why i ask for help.
search some of Charles' posts he knows quite a bit about sizing. from what i understand you would not use a cummins set up since the displacement is different.
a 76 or a 78 is too small for that application unless all you want is a set of small towing compounds, but not enough air for top end. you would probably want a Y2K or thumper - i have spoken at length with bunting about this

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was thinking about bwd's tow compounds but figured i would have more options with t4 flange turbos and better pricing.i want to do all the fab work my self.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
i was thinking about bwd's tow compounds but figured i would have more options with t4 flange turbos and better pricing.i want to do all the fab work my self.
There you go! The TN76 can be upgraded, at least on my 95, that is.;) My system is similar to there's, just on the OBS truck instead.

DarkShadowDiesel said:
a 76 or a 78 is too small for that application unless all you want is a set of small towing compounds, but not enough air for top end. you would probably want a Y2K or thumper - i have spoken at length with bunting about this
I disagree, but it doesn't matter because towing is what the OP is asking for. My TN76 can be upgraded to a SuperT76 or a SuperT78.

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
are you making your own pedestal? what is your plan for the high pressure turbo mount?

How much are u towing, and what injectors? Is your motor build based around running high boost? What wastegates are you running? What housing A/Rs are you using? What pressure ratios are you wanting?

Don't forget about oil lines, fittings, gaskets, etc-adds up quick.

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still getting all the info needed to fab my own turbos.weight i tow is 17k would like about 60 psi range give or take a few psi,pedistal mount probably buy one if i could, if it has to be made i think my fabricator can do it.turbo mount will be fabricated by my fabricator.all though i might take the easy way and just buy bwd's kit. i was thinking a stage 3 from dynomite. but thats why i ask the questions so i can get the guys who have been there may want to help me.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
you should be able to get one their 76s at a decent price - might want to call and ask

I disagree, but it doesn't matter because towing is what the OP is asking for. My TN76 can be upgraded to a SuperT76 or a SuperT78.
:blah:
haven't we heard that speech a thousand times! :poke: :D

just messing with you joey!

1snotrocket:
my thought is always to go bigger for room to grow... from what i am told larger than a 78 is needed for that, and since that's the largest wheel that can physically fit in the 76 you have, it wouldn't be enough for me.

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
You will get more satisfaction from building your own parts. Keep your primary turbo small. The stock charger will not handle the higher inlet pressures for very long. Any of the dropins with the better thrust bearings is a good start. After that, what can your imagination and wallet handle?

Good luck.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
60psi might be a bit much for towing. I'd shoot for about 40lbs realistically.

If I were going to make a true tow setup the only thing I would change would be to substitute the 42 with the 96lb wheel for the 47 and to cool the second stage.

I would think that with that combo you could put down right at 500rwhp with ice cubes falling out the tailpipe.

FWIW I have the 1.15 housing on the 38R not the 1.0

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the advise i think if my truck could pull like charles does in the video i think i would be sitting nice.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Use the GTP38 with a 1.15 exhaust a/r. Then use the GT47 as the big. Easy done, just getting it to fit and work. This set up takes all the guess work out of map sizing the compressors for required work. You could also put a GT40/88T4 as your primary and a GT4202T6 as a secondary for a more specific comp map, it would give you an ideal range for towing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Use the GTP38 with a 1.15 exhaust a/r. Then use the GT47 as the big. Easy done, just getting it to fit and work. This set up takes all the guess work out of map sizing the compressors for required work. You could also put a GT40/88T4 as your primary and a GT4202T6 as a secondary for a more specific comp map, it would give you an ideal range for towing.
what kind of hp is acheiveable with that GT40-GT42 with proper fuel j/w

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
If you are really serious about compounds just keep buggin Charles. In my un-educated opinion he seems to know his chit on the subject, unless by just pure dumb luck he happened upon his set up, lol

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Use the GTP38 with a 1.15 exhaust a/r. Then use the GT47 as the big. Easy done, just getting it to fit and work.
That's exactly why I chose the TN76. Fit is not a problem. Yes, this combo makes over 55 lbs of efficient boost.

Also, using the 1.15 turbine housing on the 38r will require the additional cost of an external wastegate.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
That's true. I can't say for sure if the integral gate would have been adequate or not. But I didn't want to take a chance so I went external. The 44mm gate I used there has proven capable of holding the 38R to ~8lbs of boost at over 3500rpm making right about 55lbs on the manifold.

Which is important being that most people don't want to run much more than that. With the integral gate I would have likely not had near that level of control, but I'll never know.

And it is important to note that I did in fact mount my setup in absence of any AC components. I had already dropped all that stuff so I have no idea if you could set it up with all that still in there, I didn't even try. I don't like AC in the truck :eek:

:D

1 - 20 of 113 Posts