21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
so you are $2500 for 350/200% injectors from full force,
$3400 for the turbo and mount kit from Irate
$550 for a Hydra tuner and tunes from gearhead
$900 for an SRP1.1 HPOP to feed those injectors
probably another $1500 or so for a nice efuel setup to get the fuel to the engine
$200 for an intercooler if you find a good one

you will still need a rebuild on the long block, $2500 billet rods should be on the list too

that is the start of the shopping list

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
so you are $2500 for 350/200% injectors from full force,
$3400 for the turbo and mount kit from Irate
$550 for a Hydra tuner and tunes from gearhead
$900 for an SRP1.1 HPOP to feed those injectors
probably another $1500 or so for a nice efuel setup to get the fuel to the engine
$200 for an intercooler if you find a good one

you will still need a rebuild on the long block, $2500 billet rods should be on the list too

that is the start of the shopping list
pretty good list, i'd choose PIS 300/200's (infact i have a set i will install whenever I get home) but thats me. plus a clutch, idk keep up with handshakers so i can't help there

·
Registered
211 Posts
start off with a budget of 12-15000 for a long block built right. Must haves are Billet Rods, stud girdle, Head studs, Fire ringing, Coated pistons.

Then you can go into the rest of the list that has been posted.

Ill be honest, if I were you Id build to a goal of 500 or 550. That next jump gets aweful costly

Keep in mind thats not anything to transfer the power to the wheels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I started a list that ended around $25,000 for all the upgrades it included bed plate, rods, rockers, cam, injectors, e-fuel, head studs, springs, turbo(single not compound), and custom tuning

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
so you're prepared to drop 30k into this truck? hell you could go get a 6.4, make it make 600+ horse, have a nicer truck and still come out money ahead

·
Registered
243 Posts
Beans did a 7.3 build for a pretty sick Excursion a while back, they were shooting for 650 and made around that. I think it was over $20k with all the work they had put in.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
you can pretty much buy the entire 650hp recipe from Irate. all you need is a motor to put it on

·
Still Completely Lost
190 Posts
When I came on here about a year ago I had the same issue with some people. I wasn't quite sure how or what I needed to buy to make some impressive numbers and the responses I got were the same laughter, and sarcastic remarks about money. I wasn't asking cost but people tend to lose sight of the original question and instead of offering their knowledge, they laugh at you and speak of cost. Disregard peoples smug attitude when they do that.

I love playing with motors and enjoy a little fab work as well. I think you should experiment with it and regardless of what some people say, the 7.3 can turn some impressive numbers. This is spoke with honest, personal experience. If you would like any info at all I would be more than willing to help you, just shoot me a PM and I will help anyway I can.

However, I did have some very good recommendations from some members which I was very appreciative for and still am. I love my truck and wouldn't dare trade it for a 6.4l. I was looking into compounds at first but found I could create a monster without them so I did exactly that. Keep with the 7.3, you won't be disappointed when it's finished. Be prepared to break the 1k torque way before the 1k hp....in fact it will be more like 2k torque so plan accordingly :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts