Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best compound turbos for a 7.3 powerstroke if I was looking for about 60-70 psi boost. Also can someone explain to me why you have the small turbo (high pressure) is the one that gets air feed to it by the big turbo (low pressure) cause wouldn't you think that's backwards

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hope you have ALOT of money saved for this. Probably looking at around $20k in supporting mods.

·
Registered
857 Posts
you need a better goal than just a boost goal..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
:whs: Remember, boost is a measure of restriction, not power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The small turbo feeds the engine first because it will spool first
The large or atmospheric turbo feeds the smaller turbo because it spools second

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your posts are hilarious. If you want to make crazy power, get a 6.0, 6.4 or a damn cummins, dont waste your money on an obs 7.3.

Making 1000hp on a 7.3 is pretty much only possible by bolting 5.5 7.3 blocks together

And its all about mass flow rate.

Large L P turbo = lots of air at low psi and higher volume

Smaller H P turbo = compresses this air to higher psi and lower volume

Mass flux is conserved because the air gets compressed and thus so smaller

So thats why its big turbo to small turbo to engine.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
A young dude with his first wet diesel dreams...cut him some slack. It doesnt cost anything to dream.

to the OP, you've opened yourself up to this. There is a wasteland of dudes that have been down the 7.3 road and only a small handful that have made serious power. There is plenty of info on the interwebs to learn about this stuff before attempting legitimate conversation.

Reactions: Bushdaddy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Funny how people think it's impossible to make hp out of a 7.3 , if u stick to a budget and can do the fab work yourself u can own a set of compounds for 4k or so , my setup was a little over that by the time u include barley pops haha,
The large turbo is I front of the setup because it can and needs to suck more air then your little turbo , if ur little turbo tried to feed your large one it would explode due to to much shaft speed it can't flow as much air as your large turbo ,
As for sizing the 7.3 can deal with compounds a lot better then most engines , it's just a bigger air pump , s366/s480 should due for your goal , make sure the 366 is gated big enough so u don't over spill your 366, I wouldn't worry about any gtx or bb turbos journals are fine and their rebuildable! Each turbo should only make about 20psi of boost and by the time compound magic happens should put u in the 70 psi range, and yeah the psi is a restriction measurement is true but unless u have cfm gauge and some wind tunnels at ur disposal boost is fine !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks and no my first dreams would have for a 6.0 but they were to expensive so I was able to pick up my 7.3 for only $4000 that's why I'm trying to see what you can do with them

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Thanks and no my first dreams would have for a 6.0 but they were to expensive so I was able to pick up my 7.3 for only $4000 that's why I'm trying to see what you can do with them
Your already ahead of the game by dodging the 6 leakerLOL.:D
Compounds are not that tough and no very expensive, if you can fab your own kit. Either way, you better have a built engine and Fire Rings if you plan on 70 psi+.
I would rather see a HP goal or your planned use for the truck, then psi goals.

My 95 is built to tow. The only issue I have now is keeping the water temps in check, while towing heavy, up 7%+ grades. Our cooling systems are not built to withstand high HP for long periods of time......, speaking from experience.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My true goal would 650hp and it's a daily driver with some towing on weekends
The 1000hp goal would be fun but only if I happens onto some major cash

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
650 aint cheap either, because you truly need a built bottom end for 650. 300/200, s468, honey badger, fuel system, built tranny, studs, valve spring, and good tunin plus a tranny or clutch. even without the built engine you're still lookin at 12-15k

1 - 20 of 34 Posts