Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a Question. Could a person plumb the exhaust from a stock down pipe up into the bed of the truck to a atmosphere turbo put a stack exhaust on that turbo and plumb the charge pipe up the driver side frame rail to the stock intake? I know that snowmobiles have turbo with stand alone oil systems so that shouldn't be a issue. also a person could make a toolboc looking cover to protect the intake from the elements. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
it could work, but you'd be losing alot of heat on the exhaust side with all that plumbing. may encounter a bit more lag too.
then you have to worry about having a couple grand sitting in your bed too...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with the heat loss. Could sizing a turbo differently based on a expected heat loss make up for that?

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Yes it COULD be made to work - and yes I am sure you would have to take into account some serious heat loss. If you were going to attempt it - and I don't really advise it - I would at least upgrade the stock turbo or figure out a way to put a really good external wastegate on it.

Almost anything can be done - its just a matter of time, money, and knowledge - you can be lacking in one department - you just need to make up for it in the other two.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I raised the question because underhood compound turbo's look like a plumbing nightmare. Was hoping to come up with a better alternative. And you would still get to use the factory intercooler after the second turbo. STS seems to make a decent system, I have only witnessed one on a new Dodge Charger. I was thinking the same approach might be nice. Ill keep thinking, I would love compounds. They seem to be the cats pajamas:D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
yep, if you can afford it, that's the way to go.
Personally, I wouldn't size it down too much, because then you lose some of the benefit of having the extra turbo.
I've seen a picture floating around of a guy that removed a piece of his inner fender to put in an extra turbo, but I don't know who's truck it is. cool idea though.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
yep, if you can afford it, that's the way to go.
Personally, I wouldn't size it down too much, because then you lose some of the benefit of having the extra turbo.
I've seen a picture floating around of a guy that removed a piece of his inner fender to put in an extra turbo, but I don't know who's truck it is. cool idea though.
blowby and I have both modded or removed our inner fenders

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
I HAD mine removed but will be re installed in a week. I also have an OBS so there is a tad bit more room

1 - 9 of 9 Posts