Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Compound turbo and twin turbo are the same thing. What are you asking?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
In the 7.3 world of those choices compounds using various combos are 90 percent more common.
I only know of a handfull of true twins. Twins tend to be laggy.
compounds can be tricky to set up. However most have gone back to a good big single.
wastegates have come in more often now as well, on compound and singles.

my favorite combo is the procharger and turbo.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
no reason to 'twin'
compounds are where it is at

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
There are diferent sized turbos.
In the procharger version..small er gt38r for tow rigs.

gt45 and 47 for more performance race rigs etc.
compound wise a gt38r feeding a gt47 was a decent setup.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Backwards..Air enters the#low-pressure#turbo#(the larger of the two) and is fed into the#high-#pressure turbo#(the smaller of the two), then directed into the engine or intercooler

In this case the turbo would be something like a gt42 or larger fed by the procharger..
in compound turbos the low pressure would be a gt47 fed by a 38 for example.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Empire is the only outfit i know doing them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see empires kit uses a f1-d procharger which flows 1500cfm why wouldn't they use a f3a-123 which flows 3100cfm and can spin faster

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Have to ask empire that one.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Compounds and twins are NOT the same thing...for the guy who said they were. And honestly, I wish that term would go away in the diesel world.

Twins, would be having say...two gtp38r's, or two s366's...one hanging off and feeding the left bank, the other feeding the right bank. Compounds are what the majority of the diesel world refers to, as twins..for some odd reason. A high pressure and a low pressure turbo. A gt4255 feeding a gtp38r, for instance.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Cummins called there compound turbo truck engines Twins.
KTTA
NTTA
twins do not need to be identical

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Compounds and twins are NOT the same thing...for the guy who said they were. And honestly, I wish that term would go away in the diesel world.

Twins, would be having say...two gtp38r's, or two s366's...one hanging off and feeding the left bank, the other feeding the right bank. Compounds are what the majority of the diesel world refers to, as twins..for some odd reason. A high pressure and a low pressure turbo. A gt4255 feeding a gtp38r, for instance.
Thanks for the enlightenment, I stand corrected and am dang happy to be that way.:rockwoot:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
The key difference is not how many but are they parallel one for each bank.
or series one feeds another...or a combo of that.

you could have something with two small trubos feeding one big one etc.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Technically still compounds. If the output of one turbo affects another it is a compound setup.

If one turbo doesnt affect the other it would be twins.

You could have twin compounds, 4 turbos, 2 for each bank, one feeding another but not affectimg the other bank. But then you probably have enough money to not care what theyre called lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts