Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Texas to see some family over the weekend and left my truck at the airport. Came back after it sat for 2 days, started right up, no problems at all. Start heading down the road and after about a half hour my sub starts acting weird and cutting out so I shut it off. About 15 min later when im getting close to my house my deck starts flickering and shuts off. A few feet later my lights go out and only my fog lights were working very dim. I pull up to my house and all my dash lights are off and my ABS warning light came on but the trucks running so I kill the engine. All my cab lights come on but very very dim. Try to crank it over and nothing. Not a click, sound or light comes on! WTF happened to my truck in the 30 min drive to my house. If my alternator wasn't charging would it drain it to the point where my headlights shut off? Got a charger on it now and hoping it will turn over. Any idea what I should check? Glanced at the fuses and they all looked fine, couldnt smell any burnt wires and my batterys are brand new super starts that are less than a year old.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Im going to second the alternator. Most parts places will test them for free. While doing this you might as well load test your batterys just to be on the safe side

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
Have fun pulling the alternator. It's not fun. Little tip for you, pull the passenger fender liner out.

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
Everything is electronic on these trucks and with no charging circuit batteries die fast. Also the injectors won't fire under something like 10.6volts and once you drop under the truck turns off.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Any options for a new alternator? Maybe a little more heavy duty and reliable
I have had pretty good luck with the one from ford myself. Wouldn't get a duralast unless you wanna be pro at swappin em in and out tho and like stated earlier it's kind of a bugger to get to

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the little bugger out. Hardest part was getting to the belt tensioner. Ya went down to Napa and got the same one for a good deal after core refund.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts