Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got 238k miles on my 3/4 ton. It runs great and its stock except for the 6in lift and as of yesterday the 39's came off in favor of 37" mt baja claws. Certain vehicles have problems that pop up at specific intervals. Im just wondering what I can expect to be coming up with my truck? Besides vacuum problems Ive not had a single issue with it. Stock trans and gearing too! I know everybody seems to think Banks products are overpriced but I got my exhaust, chip, power elbow, and wastegate actuator for a grand and some change shipped this past weekend so Im pretty happy about that.

Im looking to increase my power a little for pulling my firewood trailer and for pulling trees/stumps not to mention the mpgs. Anybody know of anything to keep my eyes open for nearing 240k miles?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I would say with a chip and that many miles start saving for a trans. I would suggest a JW or BTS valvebody to help the trans if you have an auto. If it's a standard I'm not sure cause I'm not familiar with them. Good luck and have fun.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Also, it is about time for alternator, starter, and water pump.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Congrats Tyler on the mods and in no way bashing you, you get what you want but you could have gotten all that from one vendor I know for less than 800.00, without the Bank's name on it of course and its the same if not better. Back to what your getting into mileage wise, like was said above, trans, trans, trans. That per say 200.00 savings coulda gotten you the J. Wood or BTS VB, a very inexpensive mod to do to help the trans live longer.. If its a handshaker Valair or Southbend clutches are the top 2, maybe one more but can't remember, good luck.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about a starter the other day cuz it seems like its cranking a little weaker. Its not popping it to life as quick. Water pump and coolant will get changed next month. Im hoping the alternators will last through this year cuz I have two! I just took the trans cooler out and cleaned it up and put it back in. I wanted to put the 6.0l cooler in but Im not paying $400 for a ford stock part. I hear you guys on the trans being the part to keep my eyes on, Ive been watching it for 100k now! It probably not gonna fail when Im ready for it but when I need it. Thanks for the input everybody. Great site you've got here.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and yeah the truck has a slushbox in it. Id like to just buy a bts trans and be done with it but cant justify it especially when mine still works just as bad as it did years ago. Is the bts valvebody still available, does anyone know? I would LOVE to do that as kinda introduction to his products. Anybody like suncoast trannys?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also guys this truck gets driven around on jobsites and pulls a fifth wheel trailer of firewood and sometimes fallen trees. Its still shiny but dented and scratched to beat the band. Definitely not as nice as some of the guys shiny rides! It'll always be, first and foremost, a working machine and wont be a 5-600hp truck. That said I did choose the mods I mentioned for their usable power. My main reason for joining this site was the guys who are running HUGE power are a wealth of knowledge and can often tell you in their sleep how to take apart or repair parts on these trucks. I love it here!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I pull a 12K+ toyhauler with an orig auto with a jw vb and it works perfectly. BTS is good also. The reason I went with John Wood was location. When I need a trans he's close enough that I can drive it over and watch him do the build plus already have the vb.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pull a 12K+ toyhauler with an orig auto with a jw vb and it works perfectly. BTS is good also. The reason I went with John Wood was location. When I need a trans he's close enough that I can drive it over and watch him do the build plus already have the vb.
Thats badazz man. I know the trucks are tough in stock form compared to other stuff out there. Mine has ran HUUGE tires for 238k miles and it SHOULD have grenaded a tranny by now. Im not ####tin ya mine is still pretty darn tight. Im amazed! 94 250 w a 460 would go through a trans every fifty thousand miles. Less when it was used for plowing. I inquired Friday to BTS about one of their valvebodies. Hopefully that'll be the ticket. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Custom tunes from a vendor would be a decent idea. With a adjusted shifting and plenty more power then what banks offers, I have been very satisfied.

PS I still have a BTS vb, it works great.

Make sure you have gauges.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Oh and yeah the truck has a slushbox in it. Id like to just buy a bts trans and be done with it but cant justify it especially when mine still works just as bad as it did years ago. Is the bts valvebody still available, does anyone know? I would LOVE to do that as kinda introduction to his products. Anybody like suncoast trannys?
I have a fully built Suncoast tranny and couldnt be happier!! Give them a call and tell them what you do with the truck and future plans for it and they will build you what you need.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Caladash-My sisters friend raved about her SCT in her 2000 cummins with an edge programmer. I am interested in those as well as the JW and BTS. Im sure they all make a good product with small differences. Id be happy to have any of them. It'll probably come down to who can give me the best deal for me living in IL

Oh and Austin, I appreciate your recommendation. I think the banks tunes that are in the upper power levels should be sufficient for my power needs. I know many people believe that Banks is overpriced and I kinda agree. My friend who lives a block away had a 98 f350(yes they really did exist) that he bought brand new and the ford dealer installed the powerpack(he's a welder/fabricator so he is capable. his father owned an implement dealership too) to preserve his warranty. He paid about 4grand for that installed. The thing is nobody really had other 'systems' out there at the time. He also did a 2004 f250 and it had afe, magnaflow,and edge products. He said the Banks truck ran alot better and didnt use but about half the fuel. I kinda like the way that all sounded. I wont rule anything out though long-term! I can see me doing a little bit and then deciding to go all out. I got caught up in the rice-ride craze in that manner. In fact, Im rebuilding the 2.0l turbo in my 95 gsx right now, at a gentlemans pace though. That'll just be for fun with no planned use. Ive had it since it was new! ha ha..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts