Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a coltcam in their 7.3 and did you notice a differnce in the so called fuel knock in the 1000 too 2000 range I did how ever notice when I tried the TS6 chip the higher i turned the knob the more of the knock went away

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would lean more towards your homemade injectors with the knock thing. Your gonna need custom tuning to get it to run right. Not just some off the shelf tuner or chip. Just sayin.
It's fuel and timing related. Nothing to do with camshaft.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The injectors are working fine I'm pretty sure it's a timing thing see here's it when you buy performance cams their is a difference in lift duration and lobe separation and more so than not they grind advance into the cam so if their is advance or retard ground into the cam the injectors are quite possibly firing to soon or to late which would cause the fuel knock I'm here in hence why the chip made it better because it makes the injectors fire sooner or later just not sure which which is why I asked if anyone had run one. Runs to smooth for injectors to be the problem

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Colt is a couple miles from my girlfriends house, I am going to try one in my build

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It defiantly makes a difference and is worth the money I just have to get the tunes right with my injectors and the colt stage two new build on motor factory hoop it will walk side ways out the hole going to take to watson racing have them custom tune it on a dyno I'll post the numbers when I do

·
Registered
273 Posts
The cam has nothin to do with timing in a 7.3. Timing is all based off tuning. Hopefully those people know what they're doin or the rods are gonna be hangin out the side
That's kinda what I tried telling him. It's not like a 3406 cat or big cam 400 cummins here. There is no injector lobe on the camshaft. Inj timing is all controlled by the ECM. Your cam is not your issue, your tuning is your issue. :poke:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I really wish i had the link for charles timming video.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Do some research on "shot of injection timing" the timing marks are there so you don't have valve to piston contact but remember that lift and duration on the cam on this engine only control air into the cylinder. Fuel is controled via tuning. The crank position sensor is there so the injector knows when to fire.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I understand what lift and duration do we are talking about lobe advance and retard this effects timing so here is a senario:standard cam set straight up tdc computer fires factory at say 3 degrees before tdc ok,no after market cam say cam is 3 degrees advanced factory computor fires sooner than it normally would which could cause a timing rattle or fuel knock which ever one you want to call it so if of the self tune changes injection timing then what ever they do for a standard cam to make it perform better they would more than likely have to do more on timing for a aftermarked cam and the timing marks are in relation to the cranshaft sensor which is in relation to the cam and if that is so then the cam would and is in relation to the timing on the injectors. the reason for the cam to state that it will lower egts is that the timing on the cam is more inline with the injector fire to allow exhaust gases to leave better which also could explain the slight difference in engine tone.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do know that tuning will help and after I let the guys a watson custom tune and dyno it if it doesnt do what I want Im going to purchase the minotuor system but the tuning i think i will need is so advance the timing on injectors to match the cam and when that happens the timing rattle and or fuel knock will go away I have a call into colt to find out what the advance is so I can let the tuneing pros know so they dont hang a rod out by not advancing or retarding enough to prevent running lean and detonating my New engine I posted this for Insight of some one that is running one and might have run into this before.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yup , you do that Phone colt cams. The guy actually lives 6 miles from my house. Maybe he can bring this into perspective for you better then what we are tying to make you understand. This is a little diffrent then a gasser as per camshaft results.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the cps tells the pcm when to tell the idm when to fire the injectors but the the cam and the crank have a set position to been if one is altered it will confuse the pcm with wrong information with will make it out of time unless you can change the set position in the pcm to make it the same as the timeing on cam to the crank

1 - 20 of 45 Posts