Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see posts about trans temps being too hot, but what is too cold? Today driving to work mine got up to 106 deg. Would that be considered too low? I have a big hayden cooler on the truck.

·
ate lug
172 Posts
Thats where mine runs, with probably the same size cooler. Im getting ready to put a thermostat on it to get it warmer, because i cant imagine how that can be good for it. IMO the fluid needs to be warm enough to evaporate off any moisture that might form in the trans, and i cant see 100º oil doing that.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Are you guys running the trans cooler in the radiator? If you are, you would think it would get warmer than that. Cheers!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am, I replaced the factory with a big hayden and kept the radiator in the loop.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
How far is work? Ten miles, 20 miles? I have driven 150 mile trips in the winter and only got to about 130* going up a pass...

·
ate lug
172 Posts
My setup: Trans-> radiator-> aux filter-> aux cooler-> trans. Temperature reading comes from the test port on the side of the trans. I used to get it from my aux filter housing, and that reading was typically 20º cooler.

Dont forget, the trans fluid runs through the cold side of the radiator not the hot side, so its not seeing 200º coolant. it actually does cool the trans fluid more than you would think.

My trip to work is 1 mile in town, 16 on the freeway, 1 mile in town (18 total each way). Just last night it was 50º, and i never got the trans over 112º. It has always run cool (for years now), but i put a bigger cooler in when i tuned it up (this past spring) to keep the temps down while towing. But now that its cooler out its running borderline too cold.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let the truck warm up this morning and then its a 15 min ride, back roads.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Does every OBS route the trans lines through the radiator ? I have never noticed mine going through there .

·
ate lug
172 Posts
Im not sure of that. However if the trans was ever replaced, 99% of trans shops will bypass the radiator and put in a small cooler up front, just in case there is debris in the radiator. Dont want to damage that new transmission!
I like having it in there, i figure its got to help heat the trans up a bit in the winter, if even only to ~100º or so.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's on the cold side of the radiator, so I don't think it would warm it up much....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts