Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the diesel world, and got my first PSD almost a month ago.

When the truck has sat for a day or more, and the temps have been 0-40 during the day, it seems like it's hard to start. Here's what I've been trying:

Cycle the WTS light 2-3 times by turning the key from off to on each cycle. Crank until it starts, but only run the starter for max 8 seconds.

Cycle the WTS light once, run the starter in 8 second bursts until it starts.

Which way is best? Am I giving my GPs a death sentence by cycling the Wait To Start light multiple times, or am I giving my (more expensive?) starter a death sentence by running it longer than I should?

I'm no stranger to the wrench, but I also like avoiding the wrench whenever I can :D

What's the best way to go?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had issue's with my truck 1999 f350 PSD...Alternator caused my batteries to go bad so after 2 new batteries,new glow plug relay and a new alternator the truck still had problems starting in the cold long cranking to finally get it to start...I decided to have a guy at work change out my glow plugs since I bought a set a while back...The guy said 5 of my 8 glowplugs were bad...Only been fixed a few days but the other night it was in the teens temp wise and started the truck and it started like a warm summer day after setting over night not plugged in...I would say spend the money and change the glow plugs to save the starter...

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Welcome to the Nation Jim!

This thread is located in the 7.3 Library:

Cold Weather? Hard Starts? - GLOW PLUG SYSTEM TEST - Powerstroke Nation

Look it over for some guidance. Keep in mind the wts light may go out before the gpr is finished. The gpr can stay on as long as 2 minutes depending on eot.

I would try to figure out how old the batts are. These trucks need good clean power to run properly.

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! Thanks gents!

The dealer had put in 2 brand new batteries as part of their pre-sale work, and they tell me they did a GPR and a fuel bowl heater. I suspect they didn't do GPs though. I plan on trying to get an OASIS report this weekend from a nearby dealer to see if they documented all that they did.

So on particularly cold mornings, should I let the truck sit for a minute or 2 after WTS goes out before cranking?

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Perfect! Thanks gents!

The dealer had put in 2 brand new batteries as part of their pre-sale work, and they tell me they did a GPR and a fuel bowl heater. I suspect they didn't do GPs though. I plan on trying to get an OASIS report this weekend from a nearby dealer to see if they documented all that they did.

So on particularly cold mornings, should I let the truck sit for a minute or 2 after WTS goes out before cranking?
I think waiting 1-2 minutes is prudent. It certainly doesn't hurt anything.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That did it! The test was a bit flawed today since we had mid-40s, but I'll have to try it again when the next cold front comes in. Much less smoke too since I'm not cycling the fuel pump multiple times.

Thanks!

Next dry weekend, the GPR and GPs get tested :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd bet it's your glow plugs...I called a local dealer and they quoted me $300 for install when I had the glow plugs...You can get a set of glow plugs for $100 or so...From what I was told the glow plug is only used to warm the air inside the cylinders to help the engine start and the engine actually runs on compression but that warmer air is more combustable than cold air...If your a good wrench $100 should make that thing fire up good no matter how cold... Mine does now after new GPR,glow plugs,Batteries and alternator...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally had a dry weekend and found the multimeter in the garage - I chickened out and didn't test the GPs, but the GPR is showing 10 volts at the GP side. I get 2 minutes out of it, but from what I've read, the voltage is too low.

Stancor will be going in once we have the cash to swing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts