Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post on the forums, created my account when i had a 1997, but have since sold that and bought an early build 1999 f250 in November. Truck has 303,000 miles on it and i added a 6637 filter to it november 22nd. That is the only mod done to the truck.

My family is in no way new to the 7.3, my dad owns a concrete company and this is the eleventh one we've owned, currently own 3. The reason i am posting here is because we have NEVER seen one do this.

Im not sure if any of what im about to post has anything to do with the issues i am experiencing now, so i am going to just give you guys the history of what i have done with it.

Bought the truck in mid november, had no issues starting in cold weather, 20 degrees was a breeze.

About a month ago we had a terrible blizzard, and our roads drifted shut. One of my buddies got stuck and i was going to pull him out when i got my truck buried. Moral of the story, truck sat in the drifts for 3 days until the county plowed around it. The temps were -5 to 10 above, (-25 with windchill at times). to start it i had to take a battery charger and a generator to connect to my block heater. I still had a heck of a time starting it and unfortunatly had to use ether.

Temps got back up to 20-40 above and i had no problems starting it until this week, temps have dipped back into the negatives and only getting as warm as 10 above.

Even plugged in all night outside, it still wont start. Once you get a battery charger on it though at 225 amp engine start it fires right up like its warm, doesnt even smoke right away and runs fantastic. But, without a battery charger it wont even hit on ether now, and even when it does it doesnt hit on ether like our other powerstroke do. I know, it is TERRIBLE to use ether on PSD's and i hate doing it and avoid it at all costs, but sometimes there arent many options.

The truck is in my polebarn right now (40 degrees) and fires right up no problems. I have had the batteries load tested by autozone and they both check out fine, 12.9 volts. i have also changed the fuel filter, because im still not sure if its a power problem or a fuel at start issue. I also drained the fuel bowl, and timed the fill up of the fuel bowl once you start the ignition. It takes 15 seconds to fill the fuel bowl from empty.

So my question is, did i fry my glow plugs? Are my batteries not big enough? 850 Cold Cranking AMPS. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. I could be driving my truck but im not going to take the risk of letting it sit at work for 8 hours and then not having it start when i want to go home. I appreciate any info. All the guys i know are stumped, and quite frankly im very frustrated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, and any info is greatly appreicated.

-Brett

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here is how you test your GPR and Glow Plugs
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27553

Without the battery charger how does the starter sound, it has to be cranking at 100rpm I believe or it wont run so with the cold weather I would probably take your starter off and have it tested (would probably want to simulate it and leave it outside all night before you take it in to get tested otherwise it might test good if you take it off and it is nice and warm when you take it to test).

Quit using ether you are going to cause alot of damage very soon if you haven't already.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
You prob have a bad starter or battery or batteries. Id do the starter first if its old as a worn starter on these will not crank fast enough in bitter cold to start the engine. If the starter doesnt do it then id look at batteries since they will work alot better when warmed up then when freezing cold unless there in good shape (mine last 1 1/2 to 2 years here in pa and then there junk). There not cheap batteries at all at $182.00 a piece. These engines are just hard on batteries and starters.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Test glowplugs and relay
then unplug icp sensor and look at harness for oil.

Mine needed one battery, glowplugs and an icp.
my glow plugs were original . Not bad for 16 years and 250k....lol

·
Registered
853 Posts
im guessing batteries I buried my truck and it wouldn't start at all until I put new batteries in it and fired right up

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts
Sounds like batteries to me because being plugged in did not help. When you get your batteries tested, make sure they unhook them from one another. One battery always goes bad first on the Superduties. I believe it is the passenger side but not sure. I chased the same problem down. Mad Autozone test batteries and they tested good. I then had them tested again but out of the truck. One was bad but the other battery was making it seem like both were good.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Yep i had to tell the guy to unhook mine he was testing them connected....retest found a dead cell

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
I just bought a load tester as having the truck for years to come and always wrenching and doing batteries for everyone lol. It was $27 bucks and well worth it instead of working with the people at the auto part stores that cant find the enter button on the computer yet lol....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts