Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has a problem starting cold.... as in "after it has sat for several hours"... not cold weather because it did this all summer as well.. I can turn key on and attempt to start after the WTS light goes out and it will crank and crank and crank... and sometimes try to fire or run but only sounds like its half running and zero throttle response... then die. If I turn key on, let wts light go out and then remain waiting until I hear fuel pump kick off and then attempt, it will fire right up. What gives? I did replace the fuel filters a while back with wix or some off brand filter and remember thinking the primary filter (in pump) looked different in length or something...? Could this be related? or should I rig up a FP gauge? Anyone know what size fitting is needed for that?

Its like clock work though.. the 1st start of everyday you turn key on and wait for pump to quit running and then attempt to start and it will.... if you don't it won't start. Usually will restart right away if its been a short time period since it last ran. I didn't know if filter difference could cause problem? or if i'm leaking off fuel pressure somewhere? No external leaks that I see or smell. I'm sure of that, I've already looked.

Any help is appreciated,
-Ryan

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
I would check it for codes first, then go from there. IIRC the thread size for testing FP is 12x1.50, you need a o-ring type fitting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the oil and air are motorcraft.... as posted above, I was out of town and had another problem with truck and changed filters and a wix or some off brand (wix I believe) is all I could find. So it has an off brand fuel filter set in it. So, the test port thread size is what now? #12 oring boss? that sounds big.. I will have to see what I can find and try to test fuel pressure.... Like I said, every morning if I wait for the WTS light and attempt it won't fire. If I shut key off and right back on and just wait until pump stops running, it will snap right off. Now that I know that, I just turn key on and wait until it pump stops and then it fires off.

·
Administrator
33,266 Posts
did replace the fuel filters a while back with wix or some off brand filter and remember thinking the primary filter (in pump) looked different in length or something...? Could this be related? or should I rig up a FP gauge? Anyone know what size fitting is needed for that?
do both

I do have it but it's a special fitting an not may $$ to convert from metric to NPT do a google

but it sounds like an injector stiction issue also so Rev-X or Hotshots secret isn't a bad plan

stiction explained in pdf
http://www.alliantpower.com/pdf/APTB-0109-watermark.pdf

·
matt
911 Posts
does it do it on every tune you have? mine did that on one of my tunes just had to get it rewrote

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it does it on EVERY cold start... EVERY. and yes it does it on all tunes and stock. I have it down to a science on how to get it running if needed. But I know its not good on it and need to get it fixed. I have not checked
FICM yet or replaced filters.... The wife and I are expecting our first baby and also are in the process of getting new carpet and it been a real #### storm... hopefully sometime by the week's end I can check that stuff and replace filters... I'll re-post after I test and let you guys know what I find and we'll go from there. But I'm open to any added suggestions or troubleshooting ideas between now & then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.