Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cold my 6.0l suffers a little and it's getting worse this year, first noticed last year but it was not to bad then. At startup I get a rough idle as if not all cylinders are firing. Not much power till it warms up a bit and then there are no more issues.

I rarely see below 40deg but when I do I also get some smoke till it's warmed up. I have no codes, based on my early GM diesel experience this seems like a bad glow plug or relay? My engine has about 70k on it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Its most likely due to stiction, a very common issue with the 6.0. Get some Rev-X in there, (do a search or ask around here about it) and it will take care of your cold starts.......and make it run a whole lot better all around.

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I studied the other threads under stiction and it looks like the same issue. For the last two years I have been running Rotella T Synthetic, and the last few months the newer T6 stuff and have never gone over 6k between oil changes? Today I added 8oz of Rev-X so I should know more in the next week or two.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
good luck with it. I'm leaning towards stiction as well, went down that road and come out with 6 new injectors. Also just went through having no glow plugs, anything below 50° and the truck was miserable to get going in the morning, rest of the day it was fine. Maybe 5-10+ minutes of cranking/waiting but more cranking than waiting.

The truck actually started easier with the stuck injectors at 20° than it did with no glow plugs at 45° only difference was with the stuck injectors it would run like CRAP for a little bit, sometimes as much as 3 dead cylinders that you could hear slowly come on line and then it would smooth out.

If it persists and still seems like glow plugs, they seem relatively easy to test with a digital multi-meter.

·
Banned
924 Posts
everyone told me i had a bad injector, but my fuel pump (in tank) died and after replacing i have no stictage issues??

·
Registered
588 Posts
good luck with it. I'm leaning towards stiction as well, went down that road and come out with 6 new injectors. Also just went through having no glow plugs, anything below 50° and the truck was miserable to get going in the morning, rest of the day it was fine. Maybe 5-10+ minutes of cranking/waiting but more cranking than waiting.

The truck actually started easier with the stuck injectors at 20° than it did with no glow plugs at 45° only difference was with the stuck injectors it would run like CRAP for a little bit, sometimes as much as 3 dead cylinders that you could hear slowly come on line and then it would smooth out.

If it persists and still seems like glow plugs, they seem relatively easy to test with a digital multi-meter.
Was it the actual glow plugs?

·
Registered
368 Posts
i switched to the t6 and my spool valve stiction got worse also.goin back to 5/40 full syn next oil change.the 10/30 t6 seems to be good in my 7.3l,but im convinced the full syn is what my 6l wants.its like it wants the most expensive s#it no matter what it is.havent tried the rev-x but short of that,not much you can do beside new injectors.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Was it the actual glow plugs?
if its gp's you should get a code from the gpcm or pcm.
This time around no, it was simply that the connector over the passenger side valve cover never got connected when they did the head studs, so I just had to reconnect it and the truck was good. I can sure tell you these trucks NEED their glow plugs to start below 50°

oh and I never got a code, least I have never seen the check engine light come on in this truck other than when I first turn on the key, and my SCT has never pulled a DTC :shrug:

Pretty sure each winter I get a new set of cold start problems LOL

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i switched to the t6 and my spool valve stiction got worse also.goin back to 5/40 full syn next oil change.the 10/30 t6 seems to be good in my 7.3l,but im convinced the full syn is what my 6l wants.its like it wants the most expensive s#it no matter what it is.havent tried the rev-x but short of that,not much you can do beside new injectors.

Did I say the wrong stuff? I have been using the Rotella T Synthetic 15-40 (T6 or sometheing or other?) I have used it for 2 years now, but I know they recently changed it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
well i actually confused it myself.the 15-40 is conventional oil (just plain rotella t),t5 is a syn blend that comes in 10-30,the t6 5-40 is full syn.the full synthetic is what seems to work the best.let me try it again.......it was new so i tried the t5(correct this time lol)10-30 and the stiction is getting worse.so,im going back to the t6 full syn 5-40.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This time around no, it was simply that the connector over the passenger side valve cover never got connected when they did the head studs, so I just had to reconnect it and the truck was good. I can sure tell you these trucks NEED their glow plugs to start below 50°

oh and I never got a code, least I have never seen the check engine light come on in this truck other than when I first turn on the key, and my SCT has never pulled a DTC :shrug:

Pretty sure each winter I get a new set of cold start problems LOL
x2 on that one lol....you may need a better code reader to pull them but the gpcm was intended to self diag gp problems to ensure emissions were met on cold start-ups.they can independantly test each gp for continuity and current draw among other things.thats why the first trucks to get em were cali trucks and excursions.my 01 excursion has a gpcm instead of the typical relay and i was told all exs did to maintain 50 state emissions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Someone's been lying to you, there is no intank pump on a diesel made by ford. The 6.0l fuel pump is on the frame rail below the drivers seat. But low fuel psi will definately affect the injector performance.

everyone told me i had a bad injector, but my fuel pump (in tank) died and after replacing i have no stictage issues??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts