Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 02 f350 and it wont start in the cold unless I plug it in. and when it does start it has no power and a real rough idle and some time lopes. I was gonna put new glow plugs and relay. how can I check my injectors?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check voltage on your Glow Plug Relay to make sure it's functioning properly. You can ohm out your glow plugs. How cold is it where you are at? If you run synthetic oil in it, it will run a lot smoother on start ups in cold weather. The synthetic oil made a huge difference in my truck in the winter months. Also how many miles on your injectors?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
truck has 300k on it Iam getting ready to service the whole truck from front to back. but would that have something to do with no power and loping?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does it have more power once it's warmed up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea but it still has a miss in it and has a real rough idle

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sounds like it could be injectors. Preferably, if you have access to a high end scanner, buzz test would be best. If not, you can ohm test the injectors

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any scanner to check em with how can I ohm them ?

·
Registered
708 Posts
G.P. & INJECTORS OHM TEST

(Under valve cover)

The 9-pin plug is wired as follows:

G G I I C I I G G

G=Glow Plug +
I = Injector +
C= Injector Common

The injectors fire with a 115VDC signal from the IDM. Do Not pierce the wires to test.

To check glow plugs Test between "G" and battery ground. Should be between 0.6 and 2.0 Ohms

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just realized I'm missing the Injector specs, I'll update this when I get home.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do I just unhook the plug and check it or how do I check the injector?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Test between "I" and "C" to test the injectors, should be less than 5.0 Ohms

They have connectors for voltmeter that you should be able to just clamp around the wires. If you can't find any, try to find somewhere to make contact without piercing the wires

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so the I and c iam taking it as the I is injector and c connector?

·
Registered
708 Posts
"C" is just a common wire for the injectors and yes the "I" is for the injector. The pin is exactly as shown in the little "G" "I" "C" diagram, all the letters are for is so you know which wire does what. And in case you didn't know, the valve cover gaskets are reusable on our trucks, unless they're just completely visually destroyed.

Also inspect the undervalve cover harness for melted and/or frayed wires, that can also cause similar issues. While you've got the covers off, you may as well check the glow plugs too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so do I need to leave the plug hooked up and check it? and do I need to check with the key on or off?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I've checked every thing and it all checks good what else could it be. Could it be the hop

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyone have an idea what else it could be

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really need some help I cant find any one with a good scanner and I don't have the cash to take it to the dealer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts