Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a late 99 7.3 F550 at work and the blew it up this summer, cracked a piston, so we got a used 97 engine and swapped everything over, with new injectors, gps, fpr, and hpop. When you try to start it and it's under abput 30 degrees it just spits and sputters and acts like its trying to start but it doesn't. Has a newer starter in it and it cranks over pretty quick. I tried to start it yesterday and thought maybe it was gelled up so I pulled the fuel filter and put half of the housing full of stanydyne fuel treatment and dumped another bottle in the fuel tank as the batteries recharged and left the key on to heat up the fuel and after that it started with about 15 seconds of cranking. I would just like to hear if anyone else has had an issue like this. It's making about 2600 psi of oil while cranking and smokes quiet a bit of white while cranking. Any info would be appreciated. A tiny little squirt of ether will get it to pop off and after it starts once it's good. I shut it off about 3 seconds after I started it the first time and let it sit for a min and it took off just like a warm engine when I tried it again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you put the correct 99 style injectors in the 97 engine? I would verify the glow plug system.... No reason it shouldnt start if the glow plug relay and all 8 glow plugs are working..... I have seen 02-03 7.3s not start when cold, but they had worn out injectors..... You said yours were all new....

·
Registered
295 Posts
How did the filter look? I had the same issue trying to put the truck away for winter storage. Thinking it was gelled put in the fuel treatment. It would spin over fine, but not even try to start. It turns out the filter was the culprit. It nevert set the restriction light on, but the combination of cold and mostly plugged filter caused it to no start. Fresh filter, thing starts and runs like a champ.

Cory

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I changed it out when I put the fuel treatment in. The injectors are the correct style and size for stock. Remans from DIS. I'll do some more digging and see if some wires aren't messed up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So is it still working well now? Not having the same issue anymore? If so, it was probable your filter/fuel. If it is still having issues and white smoking try cecking each glow plug terminal to ground looking for continuity. Most plugs (Beru / Motocraft) should be approx. 0.6 ohms. You will see high resistance or open circuit (OL) if the plug has failed. If you have an amp clamp, clamp it around the output wires off the glow relay/solenoid and see if you have current flowing when the glows should be coming on (i.e. whenever you wait to start light is on). If you are not getting significant current draw, then you either have a bum relay/solenoid, harness from teh solenoid, or you have drop a glow plug or two.

Cory

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Relay was stuck on and burn em all out. Sitting outside all weekend so she should start good tuesday. Local dealer had it all on the shelf. Kinda ticked off that I let myself skip over GP's cuz they where new just a short while ago. Oh well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts