Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen other threads about this and i dont want to hi jack any ones thread. i didnt really find a definative answer to my problem. so here we go. im havin the some problems with my 97. my truck has been pretty cold natured. i think its withe my glow plug system. i changed the relay in it and it starts a lot better. but yesterday it was about 35-40 degrees out and it took three tries to start it. a buddy of mine has the same year truck and he didnt even have to wait for his plugs. my batteries are brand new. if it doesnt start right away it will blow white smoke while cranking. once started it runs like a champ. Please any help. thanks for your help.

I.E. i dont know if it makes any difference but sometimes when its warming up i see a slight blue smoke comin out of the tail pipe. it goes right away though.

:ford:

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Glowplugs could be ready for replacement or on your wiring harness where it plugs into the valve cover gasket the connector could be burnt up and may not be allowing a good connection. this happened to mine recently. when you pull the connector plug the outside terminals are the ones which connect to the glow plugs so i believe you can even check them with a hot wire tester to make sure that the plugs are working without having to pull them out.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Bet it needs glow plugs also

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'd put money on the glow plugs. You can test them with a multiple meter at the harness. Cant recall the desired ohms but I believe your checking for less than 1.5 ohms to a ground ie the engine. All the wires you are checkng will share a common color on each side as in there should be four on one side that are the same and four on the bank that are the same, not the same from side to side.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was leanin towards my glow plugs before but some days it would start fine in the cold then the next day it would be 70's and be a bitch to start. since its spring ill deal with the hard start sometimes. i know the diesel tech at work will teach me how to do it. thanks

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Yep, sounds like glow plugs. And check your under valve cover harnesses when you do get in there to change them out. They do burn up and that will cause no power to the glow plugs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should i change the UVCH even if its not bad? just to be safe. the truck only has 152k on it though

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
No, if the wiring is still good and the gaskets are still good, they do not need to be replaced. You can if you like spending money but if it aint broke, no sense in fixin it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts