Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether or not to put on a CAI. A guy I know wants to trade my stock air box setup for a K&N CAI. I am trying to decide if that's a good route to go or not...??? I thought I read somewhere on dieselstop a long time ago that the stock setup flowed plenty sufficiently......????? I dunno....
Thoughts??? This guy wants stock setup because he says he'll only drive it about 4,ooomi/yr. not worried about performance too much. said someone told him that the k&n sucked a little bit of oil and trashed out his boots on his intercooler, so he had to replace them.... never heard of that either.......... what you all think?

I

·
0 Posts
I have had great performance from K&N on all my diesel trucks. You just need to clean them and reoil every couple of months. If you put too much oil on them your MAF sensor will get a glaze of oil on it and you will get a CEL.
The stock donaldson is not a bad setup but I like my K&N better. If you follow the cleaning/reoiling of the K&N instructions there is no issue with them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
keep what ya got!

·
Registered
81 Posts
i put a k& n In the stock box i used to have a open k&n in the motor compartment but in the summer time it sucks a lot of motor heat the factory filter flows plenty but everyone is always looking for extra power

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The K&N element should probably be avoided in turbo-charged applications. The initial filtration efficiency is not high enough to protect the compressor impeller.

Best filtering and flowing is the stock one good to 500+HP

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stay with the stock intake its good for up to 500 Hp, i had a K&N and got worse fuel milage and damaged compressor blades!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
Stock is best for filtering and airflow. There's plenty of snake oil out there so don't fall for the sales hype.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
There was a post on one of the forums where the guys at spartan ran the truck on a dyno and tried different intake setups and tuning and could not make any more power with a cai then the stock box. He said there was no gains what so ever. For a person that makes money off of selling the intakes to admit there is no gain that should tell you something. Also given the design of the stock unit it should last at the very minimum of 50k in a harsh enviroment. Mine was the original up to 110k and I replaced. Byw the filter minder still showed it to be good so its in the garage as a spare.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
here is a aftermarket company currently selling the same type of air filter our trucks use factory. designed by donaldson.
VOLANT

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah........probably just stick with stock setup i guess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts