Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing a cold air intake on my 2001 Excursion. I was wondering what kind of MPG improvement I should expect? My truck is pretty much stock except for a SCT and open exhaust. This is my daily driver looking to improve MPG. Well isn't everyone?! Any real difference in the brands?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
0 mpg's most likely..IMO best is the Tymar with the big Donaldson filter..thats why I only sell them not all the others that I could. Or do a DYI correctly.

Cary

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
CAI MPG improvement is most often on carburated engines, has to do with vacume and fuel draft. About the only time you see an MPG improvement on an injected engine is if you spend a lot of time near peak power RPM or have a dirty unit to begin with.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I installed a DIY6637 style open element intake and I hated it. It was way too loud in the cab. Of course, for a while, you will like the sound just like open headers or loud motorcycles but in real life when making long drives and towing/hauling I did not like the noise.

Best option is the Ford AIS. It is factory. Factory looking, quality, and super good filtering along with hugely increased air flow and ...... quiet.

Oh and zero mpg though I felt an increasae in top end acceleration over the OEM crappy airbox.

·
1,084 Posts
More gas-engine thinking on display.

Diesels run on excess air anyway. Cold air intake means squat for MPG.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I found my intake only helped when I was towing 10K or so. even then, I'm talking about .1mpg above the previous 10k towing average.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts