Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beat to death, but most of the threads I’ve found were several years old so looking for new info. Most of everything I’ve read says southbend or valair. Truck is an 01 cclb drw, currently has FFD 180/30’s, dieselsite ww2, straight pipe, php hydra with gearhead tunes (will be changing tunes when I do the swap, probably jelibuilt or Dan K). My reason for replacing the clutch is I’m swapping from the 4r100 and don’t know if the clutch is in good shape or not (has 180k on it). Also, what all else should I replace while I have the trans out of the truck? I came across the transmission for a smoking deal, was originally gonna go to a built auto but it saves me money, and I’ve wanted a standard for awhile, but I’ll have everything I need for the swap. Looking to just replace the clutch and related parts. The truck is a welding rig but doesn’t see many trailers, I’m looking for a nice daily clutch that can handle the extra power I have in the motor. I eventually plan on doing more motor work but that’ll be down the road. Are there any clutch kits that’ll have everything I should replace? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been looking for info on clutches as well. seems like most everything I've been searching for lately just brings up very old info.

I think you are right though it seems southbend or valair and people like both and people hate both for what ever reasons. Luk is also another brand that pops up but not sure if they cover your hp range.

the only other thing I have found is to call ea brand and tell them what you are doing, plans for future upgrades, etc and they will recommend the right clutch for your goals. I'm sure there are some other good brands out there but those are the ones i keep coming up with as well.

are you going to stay with single disc or dual disc? Did you get a chance to talk to [email protected]?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t get the chance to talk with him, but ended up talking to some local guys and everyone says stay with south bend. Went ahead and bought the south bend “stage 2” 1939cb. Should be fine for my horsepower range, for now

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I got a south bend but I went with dual disk. It was $1350. I seen way to many threads about the upgraded clutch slipping. I had the valair and it was shot in 75k. It wasn't worth the risk of tearing up a clutch again so I spent the extra money.

Did you get the spacer that goes between the trans and engine?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We’ll see how this one does, don’t plan on doing anything crazy with the truck, mostly just a daily driver. Which spacer are you talking about?

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
It's like a piece of sheet metal that is cut out for the bolt pattern and the starter. The are not made anymore and the only way to find them is in the junk yard.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don’t know if it’ll come with the trans or not. First time I’ve heard of it, what is it for?

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
The zf6 one is on the left. Auto on the right.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
You need it to space everything out. I would call the people and have them ship it out because it should of came with the kit.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok now I know what you’re talking about. Hopefully it’s with the trans, didn’t know the zf6 needed one

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ad didn’t mention anything about it, I’ll call them and see if they included it or not. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Don't forget to buy a new clutch fork, pivot ball and might as well get new hydraulics. Just an fyi don't cut the plastic. On the slave. When you push the pedal it pops.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checked the ad again, it’s there. It was hidden in the pics lol. I ordered the updated clutch fork, I’ll look into the pivot ball. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Ford F81Z-7B602-AA - Stud

It comes with a pedal box right? I would change out your up pipes when the trans is out. @410customs has had good luck with a set that's under $100 off of Amazon.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah comes with the pedals. I just recently did my up pipes, with the motor and trans in, and if I have to do them again, one of them is coming out lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts