Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added an S&B cold air, AIH delete, and tuned her up.

A mild tune was ok, switched to a hotter tune and the clutch did not appreciate it, at all.

South Bend has sure made a name for themselves but a lot of local guys are using stuff bought from some guys near me, Carolina Clutch.

Advice is surely welcome here, I don't want to do this job more than once in the near future.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
South bend makes solid products for the 7.3 - that’s all @[email protected] sells as far as manual clutches goes. I have an auto but I’m not new to southbend. That’s all I’ve used when I rode standard. I don’t like to shift standards nowadays.

Edit: I assumed you had their clutch already. Now reading back - you don’t. Get one you won’t be disappointed.

I’m always wanting to try new chit if it saves money so if your buddies says Carolina clutches are gtg and there is a price difference, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah it’s your call. Never heard of them and southbend has been around the block and done chit and able to back it up. If your situation, I would go with southbend. Stick with something that works.

I’ll give an example of trying new chit. Torque converters are generally a hot topic. I have a pi tc that’s $1200 mated to a bts. It’s freaking solid. I tried out a new one (tampa torque converter) for $400ish for a triple disk with kevlars. Never looked back since. Now my other truck makes over 1200-1400lbs (450-475hp) of torque with the bts but the one with the tampa tc, makes roughly 800lbs (425hp with my 150hp tune?). I won’t ever reach 1200+ with the 7.3 so I went with the tampa tc and been happy ever since.

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like to stick with products with a solid track record, it's my daily driver.

Sure don't want to put a clutch in this thing 2 or 3 times, I'm not as young as I used to be.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
​ DieselDC;6045210 said:
South bend makes solid products for the 7.3 - that’s all @[email protected] sells as far as manual clutches goes. I have an auto but I’m not new to southbend. That’s all I’ve used when I rode standard. I don’t like to shift standards nowadays.

Edit: I assumed you had their clutch already. Now reading back - you don’t. Get one you won’t be disappointed.

I’m always wanting to try new chit if it saves money so if your buddies says Carolina clutches are gtg and there is a price difference, go for it!

I don't like standards either.

·
dogpile
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Digging through the records they kept for this truck, I found a receipt for all new hydraulics, clutch pedal, nothing on the actual clutch. He said it was chattering a bit and had it replaced. Took it apart and everything looked good.

Friend of mine helped me out, Knocked it out in less than four hours Sunday morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts