Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck in signature, got it this weekend.

It hesitates/grabs going into all gears (even when clutch to the floor, causes rough up-shifts), engages just past half-way pedal travel. The truck has been sitting since fall last year. Clutch doesn't seem to slip, but haven't towed or really worked it yet. Original clutch I believe.

Any suggestions?

Can the clutch be adjusted at all? Air in the line? Worn clutch?

Thanks guys, search turned up mixed answers.

Edit - There is a little oil on the bottom the bell-housing and around the starter if it matters.

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
sounds like a possible bent clutch fork

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Bent clutch fork, weak hydraulics or weak pressure plate fingers. Or bad stoopid pushrod bushing.

Get an assistant; slither under, and while an assistant operates the pedal, FULL travel, measure the distance the poking-out end of the fork moves. IIRC, it should be about 7/16"-1/2" (12-13mm). If it's less, then the problem is "upstream"; pedal / pushrod bushings and/or hydraulics. If it's at least that much, then it's a bent fork or the pressure plate just isn't springing with the fork / throwout bearing travel.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll give it a look-over this week, as taking 5 minutes to get up to speed trying to get it into gears, and do it relatively smoothly get old, fast. I've sat at a green light more than once trying to find 1st (2nd), and often when I do get it into gear you can feel the truck lurch forward, but it does slip into every gear a lot easier if accelerating harder than usual/normal driving.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again guys!

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
It is time to investigate what is going on. I had the exact same problem on a 99.5 F450 at work. The clutch disk was cracked and a spring came loose. The Ford clutch disk is famous for cracks and springs coming loose. I used this http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=123 and this http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=588 and http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=124. I also bought a new Slave/Master cylinder and a new clutch pedal assembly. The reason for the new pedal assembly was because there is a small post on the side of the pedal arm that attaches to the push rod and the post gets worn and begins to get a little slop in pedal to push rod travel. The post attaches to the push rod via a plastic retainer bushing that connects the two parts together and when the plastic bushing wears out you get metal to metal and the wear begins. Everything I described has fixed my clutch problem to good as new status. I have the Luk Clutch/Flywheel in three of my work trucks. Time will tell if they hold up to the commercial abuse.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Any of these things cause a vibration/tap in the floor of truck. I have it when accelerating. If I let out off accelerator it isnt as bad or push in clutch it goes away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts