Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all 1st post here. I've been doing a lot of reading but I can't find a solution to my problem. When I drive my truck slow, I can hear a clunking sound in my front end. It almost sounds like a shock is loose but I just put new Bilstiens on it a month ago, and I'm sure the mounting bolts are tight. I have new Spicer ball joints installed on the passengers side but the drivers side was good at the time of installation (1 month ago). I also have a new tie rod end (long one from gearbox) and it was just aligned. I had my wife turn the steering wheel back and forth while I checked the steering linkages and the only slack I could find was in the shaft from the column to the gearbox but it was nominal at best. The u-joints were tight and all the tie rod ends looked tight too. I even rocked the truck when it was parked and I couldn't duplicate the sound. It only seems to happen when I turn a little bit. Sorry for being so long-winded but I want to cover all that I have checked. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
welcome too psn! what about the lock outs?

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
Ball joints? Mine was shot and they would make a clunkin noise when turning.

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
Ball joints? Mine was shot and they would make a clunkin noise when turning.
Disregard this post its been a long day and I read it again and seen you have new ball joints.

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Mine does that on the passenger side from a worn out rear leaf spring bushing. Could also be center bushings if it's an F250. Sounds kinda like a single rubber mallet whack to the body at the rear of the wheel well. Sometimes you can hear it pop in back if you load the spring just right. Is that what you are hearing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TravisT you may be on to something. Now that I think about it, it doesn't make that noise until I hit some bumps. It always happens when driving down my driveway before work in the morning. I will be checking that tonight when I get home. I guess I would just jack up the front end and put jack stands under the frame so the suspension hangs, and then jack the axle up to see if there is movement on the bushings. Is there an easier or more efficient way?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
look for bad rubber on the bushings i replaced all mine in the spring.

·
Registered
433 Posts
welcome too psn! what about the lock outs?
sorry lock outs make more of a clicking than clunking. what about the ttb bushings? mine are also going bad with a clunking turning into my drop off driveway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts