Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows what this could be. I have a 2001 f350 6 speed with auto 4x4 with the manual hubs:confused. When I turn either right or left I get a clunking noise which seems to go faster or slower with the spped of the truck. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe :confused:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
check your trac bar bushings. if those are good check your leaf spring bushings.

Chad

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Couple things to check out, ball joints or your swaybar bushings. First, jack the truck up, to get the front wheels off the ground, with a breaker bar, get it under the tire and pry up, if you have any up and down movement, the ball joints are shot. As for the swaybar bushings, if they're stock, most likely their shot. Mine were and a visual inspection, tearing of the rubber bushing or the bolt looking crooked attatched to the link is a good indicator that its bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple things to check out, ball joints or your swaybar bushings. First, jack the truck up, to get the front wheels off the ground, with a breaker bar, get it under the tire and pry up, if you have any up and down movement, the ball joints are shot. As for the swaybar bushings, if they're stock, most likely their shot. Mine were and a visual inspection, tearing of the rubber bushing or the bolt looking crooked attatched to the link is a good indicator that its bad.
Thank you for your replies. I know that the ball joints were replaced just prior to me purchsing the truck, whick was about 3 weks ago. I just wanted to add that when I first drive it and make a shapr turn, weather right or left there is no problem. After I drive it for a while is when the clunking noise starts during turns. any ideas? Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would check the track bar as mentioned above. Also check your leaf spring bushings and tie rod ends.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Re check the ball joints. Maybe they only did the top or bottom and not both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts