Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i posted a few days ago about my truck running hot it has a new water pump new thermostat and i just replaced all the anifreeze this morning. still nothing now im under the impression that the oil cooler is clogged what would be some more symtops to look for before i spend 300 to put a new oil cooler in and that end up not being the problem thanks

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
A clogged oil cooler isn't going to cause a overheating problem with the coolant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think its the coolant being too hot i think the motor is just running really hot what should the normal engine oil temp be ill check on the edge evo later tonight what its running at. also how would i go about cleaning it compressed air? water? never been into one so just curious thank you in advanced

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also ill be replacing the drivers side manifold soon so should i just wait and do both at the same time for space convience?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have a quality scanner hooked up to your truck.... A proper oil cooler will keep your oil temp the same as you coolant temp, maybe even ten to twenty degrees below, which means, if your coolant temp is 200degrees, your oil temp will be between 180-200degrees... If you had a plugged oil cooler, your oil temp will exceed your coolant temp.... You can look at these "pids" with a factory type scan tool. Have you checked out your fan clutch, thermostat, radiator???? Radiators can fail internally, causing overheating issues.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fyi, also, for whatever reason, some scan tools will give you a false oil temp reading, on the OBS powerstrokes.... When i hook my genisys to my 97 f350, it shows the oil temp 237degrees, even when the engine is cold...... Just keep this in mind when troubleshooting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
your oil temp will never be below your coolant temp.....its not possible
Oil takes longer to heat up than coolant.... A good working oil cooler should keep oil temps level or below coolant temps.... Ford dealers use this same procedure to determine if 6.0liter oil coolers are plugged.... If they notice oil temp running 20degrees or more above coolant temp, then they know they have an oil cooler issue...... :pointlaugh:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
not so with a 7.3 minwe runs 10-15 above the coolant @70 mph even after I replaced it and new coolant ect. it have alway been about there on the x-way

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i used my edge evo and hooked it up to my truck and it climbed normally and never got past 203 degrees that i saw when i was trying to drive and read it it seemed to be reading correctly dropped when idling increased when i got on it. im starting to think its either my gauge or sending unit because my original in there was bad so i took the sending unit out and tried the one from my 97 powerstroke and the gauge finally moved again but it would keep moving till it pegged out in hot but when i parked the truck and popped the hood everything seemed to be running normal the thermostat had opened but wasnt still open so it couldnt have been past 203 so what do you guys think either my factory ford gauge is messing with me trying to get me to put money where it isnt needed or is there a differnce between 95 and 97 temp units or maybe even the 97 one is bad too thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
I dont see why a 95 vs 97 sending units would be different, but you never know. They are inexpensive, so may be worth installing a new one... Sounds like your temp is doing ok according to your EVO. Also, did you verify your fan clutch is working properly and engaging?

·
Registered
296 Posts
And "Cratos".. 7.3s and 6.0liters do vary from most diesels, due to the fact they utilize the Heui 'hydraulic electric unit injectors'. Since they use engine oil to provide the injection actuation on the injector, this does cause more heat build up in the oil, because your asking your oil to not only lubricate your engine, but also to provide the pressure to fire your injectors. So on these engines, it wouldn't be uncommon to see your oil temps rise above your coolant temps, but usually only under load, or where your working the engine some... And if your seeing oil temps 15-20degrees above coolant, you either have a cooling issue of some sort, radiator/oil cooler, or if you run a higher flowing hpop, larger injectors, that alone could cause more heat in your oil temps.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts