Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so if this is in the wrong place just move it but... i was washing my truck today with the pressure washer at work and it started to peel my clearcoat... it wasnt from the pressure washer it was from a rock chip that i didnt see... what im wondering is if there something i can do to keep it from spreading over the rest of the fender.. this sucks bad enough that its made me depressed... i love my truck :(

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
That sucks. I wouldnt be supprised if that happens to my truck with a pressure washer seeing as it has so many scratches and chips in the paint and also sit has had so much body repauir done the primier/paint/clearcoat is nothing like factory specd. Its so thin. I would say keep a really good coat of wax on it and dont washer it with your pressure washer anymore.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If it has peeled down to the base color you are kinda screwed. The best thing you can try is use some wax and grease removed and THOROUGHLY clean the pannel. Using some wet/dry paper (I prefer the 3M Imperail stuff) wet sand the area and feather in the area around the chip. Then scuff the rest of the pannel and put a couple new coats of clear on.

If you need to you can fog some base color ontop of the clear after you sand it, then put the top coats of new clear on. Make sure you let the clear flash between coats for about 10 minuets, depending on temp.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont have the money or time or skill for all that.. what i want is to stop it from spreading any further than it is.... can i wet sand it and then put some sort of clear or something to keep the edges from coming back up??

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
:pointlaugh:

JK

I will ask my body shop friend for you. He will probably know how to fix it.

I'm going to say wetsand it very, very lightly, blending it in with the clearcoat around it, then spray it with cc again is the closest you're going to get.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats basically exactly what i want to do.. just to stop it from spreading... eventually within the next year or so i want to repaint the entire truck... it needs it bad! hating to see what that will cost me :(

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I think that's what I said :poke:

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your telling me to do the entire panel... i just want to do the spot... greg painting my entire truck i have no issue with... its where.... when... and i cant do body work... and i dont know anyone with skill to help me make sure it comes out right

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You don't have to do the entire panel, but you do have to feather the repair into a large area or it will be PAINFULLY obvious where you made the repair. It takes the same amount of time and effort to make the repair properly as it does to just goop more clear onto the bad spot.

There isn't any bodywork that needs to be done here unless you have a dent where the clear start peeling off? So sand the bad spot and feather the edges of the clear where it flaked off. Then scuff enough of the panel so that the new clear and be sprayed and worked into the existing clear. After the last coat of new clear goes on let it set and cure for several hours/overnight depending on the temp. Then wet sand the entire repaired area with around 5000 grit with plenty of water.

Then you need to buff the clear back to a shinney clear state. Use a foam bonnet and start with some medium cut, fine cut, swirl removed and then wax it. All of that stuff can be had at your local NAPA store. I'd go to the autobody supply house and buy good stuff tho. Takes about 2-3 hours depending on the temperature and prep time. The biggest thing is do ALL the prep work no short cuts. Absolutely imperative to get all the wax/silicone/grease off the panel. Not really any big deal.

·
Dieselized
526 Posts
Uuhhh a little base and clear coat will run ya around 80 to 100 bucks and yes do the whole panel mine did the same thing I sanded and painted just that spot now its peeling so spray the whole panel I'll be doing mine soon and BTW napa should have someone in there with some advice

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don't know on the clear coat, I've never tried to buy less than a gallon. Good paint will run ya about a 100 bucks depending on how much you buy. A pint will be enough for a panel and will run ya about 60-80 bucks and then you'll need some reducer. Who ever you buy the supplies from will be able to set you up with the base color/reducer and clear/reducer that you need and show you how to mix it. Most base colors are mixed 1:1 and most Urethane clears at 4:1, but everyone and their brother has some kind-o-fancy hi-tech stuff now and you need to ask to be sure.

Dupont Chroma System is pretty good stuff. It's not show car paint, but it looks good and holds up well. I've been using Chromabase on the trucks at work whenever I've had to paint them and ChromaPremier on the bosses truck. But, just like truck brands, every paint brand has good product lines and bad. For a repair just go find the closest place that sells the stuff and get everything you need from that place. They'll tell ya how to mix, etc. and get you setup with the right stuff.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem is i dont have any place to do all this work.. only place is work and its dirty and dusty and.. it sucks... guess i just see what it will cost me to have some1 do it.. and deal with it peeling for a while... this sucks!!!!

·
<-Friends bike
1,125 Posts
problem is i dont have any place to do all this work.. only place is work and its dirty and dusty and.. it sucks... guess i just see what it will cost me to have some1 do it.. and deal with it peeling for a while... this sucks!!!!
If you are trying to to keep it from spreading ,, get a can of clear areosol , make sure the edges of the spot are not still peeling, spray some in a paper cup.. dab it on the spot, it will do what you want it do do, or if it is a big spot, spray it..... it won't be anymore obvious than it is right now.....

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats what i want yes but i dont want it to stand out like a sore thumb either tho...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts