Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, just got a topper for the truck. Clear coat is flaking away in spots. What are my options to stop this and put new clear coat in those spots? Haven't had a chance to do any research yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
my dad tinkers with paint and body work , my truck has two spots on the roof where the clear is lifting he says the whole roof has to be sanded down and reshoot it

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping I wouldn't have to hear that. Lol, was hoping there was a way to patch it. Are there clear coats in rattle cans? That would keep it cheap if I did all the sanding myself.

·
Where fools fear to tread
313 Posts
Use the same process that is used for blending the color coat for dent repair. Same thing except you will be spraying clear. About the only thing you might end up doing is running a buffer and fine polishing compound over the whole thing when you are done to even things out.
On Edit: Unless it is actually a gelcoat finish. If it is, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so how can i tell if it is a clear coat or a gel coat? i have gel coat on my boat and on others. have never seen that stuff crack and flake like this. i'll try and get a pic up.

·
Where fools fear to tread
313 Posts
It's been a long time but I think the gelcoat is noticeably thicker than the color coat on the glass. Kind of like semi-flexible enamel/porcelain, kind of??

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
if you try to blend the clear theres a good chance it will halo later on where you did the repair your best bet would be to sand the whole thing with 400 and clear the whole cap
also ive used napa clear which is real inexpensive but very good for the money

1 - 7 of 7 Posts