Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sure this is the place to post this, but it is the closest place I can find to put it. My son had an exhaust leak while I was away at work. Well needless to say he didn't fix it. It caused the motor to get smutted up pretty bad with exhaust soot. What is the best way to get this off? I really need a spray on and wash off type stuff. Reason being, I am not to sure I can whipe and scrub every small area on the motor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had good results with Black Magic 2-1 engine shine. DON'T get it on the frame it removes that rubberized/tar coating the factory puts on

·
Registered
26 Posts
What about Super Clean in the purple bottle? I dont know if it will do soot but it does just about everything else

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have used the Black Magic tire shine but not the engine shine. I never sued it was a cleaner thoiugh. I will try both B.M. & S.C. if the first doesn't work. Anyone else can chime in if they know a better cure.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, lol I appriciate the advice, but I just can't see me putting oven cleaner on my motor. Some of this stuff has a pretty good price tag to it, just for the looks. I would be scared that would strip or tarnish the finish on some of it. But thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have used others but the reason I like that Black Magic is because it does a good job cleaning and leaves what I would call a "satin shine" its not glossy but does have a little of a shine to it. It also doesn't leave a greasy film that just attracts dirt later on.

Use your owners manual to see the areas that need to be covered with a plastic bag (fuse box, alt, airbox, etc.) Just make sure you rinse it off good (just a hose no need for a pressure washer) or you will smell it when the truck is hot (I learned this the first time)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. Thanks JonnyB

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Good tip!! I need to do this as well...

·
^^ Not Cobbs
839 Posts
Soak with simple green and hose off from a distance . All over cleaner is is essentially lye it can eat through some stuff, I make a lye paste to strip panels on a tractor when painting them

·
401 Posts
I like simple green. I used to clean a lot of stuff. I work in the oil fields so it also works good at getting oil off the side of my work truck also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts