Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HPOP exploded on my 7.3 manual trans, and after I got it back from the shop the clutch will slip in fifth gear above 75% throttle as soon as the RPM is over 2000 or so and I’m making some power. I suspect oil got on the clutch as it was pretty much everywhere else. I’ve read about using brake cleaner but I’m not sure the best way to go about actually getting it on the clutch with-out actually pulling the transmission out. Any ideas on how to spray it in there or other ideas how to get the oil off like pouring a 2 liter of coke into the valley and letting that run down there onto the clutch (yes I did hear that once.) Thanks.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
To clean it completely you are going to have to pull it.

There are no shortcuts to it. Over time if it is oil it should burn or wear off.

·
don't play well w others
3,991 Posts
Use caution with brake cleaner and heat. It makes a highly toxic gas that will kill you in seconds.

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
as said, the only way to properly clean it is to pull the trans.
and if you are going to pull the trans, you might as well just replace the disc.

what year truck?
if it is an 97 or older, it most likely has a dual mass flywheel, and the DMF is probably bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s an 02. Thanks for the heads up about the toxic gas. At least I know it’s probably just gonna need a new clutch so I can start planning for that. It’s still totally drivable for now so Im gonna hold off on the full replacement for now and I’ll update the thread in case anyone is curious and for posterity.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If that has a dual mass flywheel I would look that over real close too. In my 93 I had it slip pulling a load if got into it, flywheel was shot.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Use caution with brake cleaner and heat. It makes a highly toxic gas that will kill you in seconds.
Good caution.
Though that's the chlorinated kind.
Non-chlorinated is good to go.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
I believe it makes phosgene gas. Never had a problem with it though and I've been breathing the sh*t for years. Flashing off of manifolds, caught a few things on fire, even flame throwing and cought a dudes hair on fire once. True story by the way, his wife made me pay for his hair cut. Lol, oh man, I just now remembered the sight. He was running around screaming like a girl with flames coming off his head. Swear to God that's true. It was hilarious. That was actually carb cleaner though.

Anyways, thankfully i still got my lungs so far.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
He didn't even know that his hair was on fire. He just saw his jacket on fire so he screamed and put that out. Then he's standing there with his jacket smoking and his head is still on fire and he didn't even know it. I had to run over there and tap it out for him. Then his jacket and head were both smoking and he sat there in silence for about ten seconds. I think he was shocked I had actually done it. I was shocked too, I didn't expect him to go up like a dead Christmas tree.

He so pissed he went home for the day.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,397 Posts
I don't even know where you can get chlorinated brake clean anymore.

And im guessing if you've been breathing that stuff for years, then its probably not the toxic stuff lol.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't even know where you can get chlorinated brake clean anymore.

And im guessing if you've been breathing that stuff for years, then its probably not the toxic stuff lol.

Any parts store bro, it’s the green can lol, they just usually don’t carry as big of a supply lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I have read about using “de” or diatatamacious earth to dry out driven discs and then brake clean to clean the pressure plate and flywheel. But I agree with the above if you are going to go through the trouble just replace the disc

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Yeah, it's still readily available about anywhere. Likely depend on the state as well. So I'm sure not available in lib states. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem but with fuel leaking onto the clutch. Its happened to me twice and both times I just drove it easy for a couple months until it stopped slipping. Not sure if it will be the same for your situation with oil but I would recommend just taking it easy for a while to see if it gets better. Hope that helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts