Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the methods that are good for cleaning framerails and axle/suspension in these trucks?

Motor, trans, t-case, driveshafts coming out and the fuel tank is probably getting dropped. I'm basically going to have a shell with a frame under it so I wanted to clean it up a good bit before putting everything back in.

What about the wiring? How to clean that and around that without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banning Smut
19,091 Posts
What are some of the methods that are good for cleaning framerails and axle/suspension in these trucks?

Motor, trans, t-case, driveshafts coming out and the fuel tank is probably getting dropped. I'm basically going to have a shell with a frame under it so I wanted to clean it up a good bit before putting everything back in.

What about the wiring? How to clean that and around that without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance.
What fer? Just to clean/paint everything?

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What fer? Just to clean/paint everything?
Yeah pretty much. I'm tired of having a filthy undercarriage. I used to keep the truck spotless inside and out before the forged rod motor. With the HPOP lines blowing apart, turbo blown up, oil dipstick, crank pulley leaking it has made a mess. I've corrected all of those problems but residual oil is still to be found.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
I just painted the frame on my truck. I used Marine clean first to degrease the undercarriage. Then used Metal read to help convert the rust into a more paintable surface. Then I painted it with POR-15 and put a coat of black spray paint and 3 coats of clear for a topcoat.

Went from this:

To this:

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where's the weight room?

:poke:

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Where's the weight room?

:poke:
haha the weight room is everywhere, sometimes I just pop a wheel off the truck and start curling it. Gotta work with your surroundings

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Depending on the shape your frame is in, you might consider getting some of those red scotch brite disc's for an air tool to knock the loose stuff off before painting.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just painted the frame on my truck. I used Marine clean first to degrease the undercarriage. Then used Metal read to help convert the rust into a more paintable surface. Then I painted it with POR-15 and put a coat of black spray paint and 3 coats of clear for a topcoat.

Went from this:

To this:
I am about to do the same thing. I really like how por 15 turns out.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending on the shape your frame is in, you might consider getting some of those red scotch brite disc's for an air tool to knock the loose stuff off before painting.
The frame is actually in very good condition. It's a Texas Truck and it has missed two main saltings where a lot of salt was put down in the past 5 years. Plus it's been covered in oil LOL.

This is why I pulled the motor.

This happened exactly one year ago and after all of the cleaning and what not I've done under there... it's time the motor had to come out to actually do it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts