Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ive been trying a whole bunch of different cleaners on the stacks and i can't find an easy way to get the soot off from around the opening. im sure most people don't worry about this area but i don't like it hanging around on there. i like my stuff to look clean. it takes a fair amount of scrubbing to get it off. also is there a cleaner that is special for chrome? thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
on my exhaust tips I just use warm soapy water and a sponge....it takes some effort but it works well....

Chad

·
New guy
93 Posts
Paint thinner probably would wipe it right off, of course if your stacks are hot.... poooof

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
paint thinner would....but it would/could also do harm to the chrome...I'd just use some good ole fashioned elbow grease bud...

Chad

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paint thinner would....but it would/could also do harm to the chrome...I'd just use some good ole fashioned elbow grease bud...

Chad
alright thanks. thats what ive been doing. just wondering if there was an easier way. it takes a long time to wash these big trucks and i get home later the same night and the bed already has a coat of unburned fuel on it. just trying to quicken it up but i guess the long way is the best.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
you could always get a bottle of Lucas Spray Wax and spray that bed side and the exhaust tips and it would help a little....but the main concern is why is your truck smoking so much???? it could be an issue...it could be the way you drive LOL....keep your foot out of the skinny and your job will get a little bit easier ;)

Chad

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ummmmm..... 120 smoke screen tune on the 80 over injectors. 1 shot of that and its covered. now i don't use it all the time only used it once on my buddy and it actually set his check engine light somehow but yea its probably the way i drive. the stacks sound really good right around 2700-3000 rpm. the truck was down for about 2.5 months and i went and bought a cheap dollar store car sponge for a reason. there were 3 different colors between brown black and oil on it. the sponge ended up black and doesn't clean out of the sponge. haha

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
yeah if you just lose the skinny pedal you'll be golden lol....I run mine constantly on 140 with stage 1 single shots and I smoke a bit but only clean my tips...MAYBE once a month???

Chad

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats the nice thing about having a black truck like you do... you dont feel the urge to wash it every week because its not white. the white is a biatch. if i get any water down the stacks while washing it it blows huge black drops out all over everything behind them. i believe this will be the last time i buy a white truck with stacks. white with dual out the back any day all day but no more white with stacks. haha im running the php 65hp tune for now. i ordered the wrong egt sensor to work with the insight cts so im waiting to order the expandable one from edge this week before i start running the 120 tunes all the time.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
it's really nice from time to time...but it does suck pretty badly when you try to keep it spotless....and living in Virginia is even harder because every other day it rains like cats and dogs....I've gotten to the point where I only drive my truck on sunny days and weekends. and you can tell when the soot does build up because it goes from glossy shiny black....and awesome....to flat black and crappy looking.

Chad

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do understand the keeping black clean. used to have a couple black cars. i figured buying white it would stay looking clean but being that i bought it with stacks already on it i didn't think of the soot build up. i need to get a video of the smoke screen one time. maybe on my trip down to virginia to visit my friend in college ill get a video.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
where at in Virginia??? why dont you convert it to a below the bed system?? I ordered my 4" duals for 320.00 shipped

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shes going to liberty university. i would convert it to a below bed if the hole wasn't already there but they sound so good. the entire way home the other night after just getting it back i swear i was smiling ear to ear and it was stuck like that the rest of the night. if i happen to get an 08+ bed ill switch it back to a normal out the back exhaust. ill probably order a turbo back 4 inch and get some nice tips. i just dont see having the hole in the bed and nothing coming through it. i know i could get it patched but by the time i buy the exhaust then pay to have the patch made and welded in and painted its not worth it on a rusted out bed. i tell you what if im ever in an area where some guys from on here are i would love to just sit down and talk about the trucks with them. that would be a good chance to share some experience and plans and do's and don't's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Flitz polish

·
Registered
926 Posts
I use the eagle one polish I think it is. It's a big cotton ball basically in a silver tin. The smallest size piece of it takes off all the coal on the stacks every time. Best stuff I've ever used. It's a fantastic chrome cleaner. When I don't need to clean the coal off I use turtle chrome cleaner in a green bottle. Great shine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts