Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be detailing the inside of my truck tomorrow and was looking for a few tips on how to clean the carpet (GOOD!) and the headliner.

I've tried conventional carpet cleaner and it doesn't really work that well, just makes it smell better. Please share some of your tips and tricks on getting the carpet to have that soft clean feeling.

And how to clean the headliner?

·
Peon
727 Posts
Gonna be detailing the inside of my truck tomorrow and was looking for a few tips on how to clean the carpet (GOOD!) and the headliner.

I've tried conventional carpet cleaner and it doesn't really work that well, just makes it smell better. Please share some of your tips and tricks on getting the carpet to have that soft clean feeling.

And how to clean the headliner?
To do a thorough job on the carpet I'd seriously recommend pulling the seats and interior trim out so that you can steam clean or shampoo it (use the same machine you'd clean your house's carpet) outside of the truck. Doing so will also let you get to all the fabric surfaces of the seats plus that'll be a great opportunity to clean the nooks/crannies in the seat-mounting bracketry that you just can't access while they're still installed in the truck.

For the headliner, I like Adams Carpet/Upholstery cleaner and it's worked well when I've tried to get those mystery stains (hell if I know how they got there or what they are...:confused: ) out of the headliner.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ideally, remove the seats and pull the carpet. Wait for a hot sunny day and pressure wash it on your driveway. Wait 2 hours for it to dry and reinstall. Comes out looking like new.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i had supprisingly good results with the turtle wax carpet cleaner but my carpet wasnt really bad either but its worth a try

·
NHRDA Diesel TV Host
3,037 Posts
To do a thorough job on the carpet I'd seriously recommend pulling the seats and interior trim out so that you can steam clean or shampoo it (use the same machine you'd clean your house's carpet) outside of the truck. Doing so will also let you get to all the fabric surfaces of the seats plus that'll be a great opportunity to clean the nooks/crannies in the seat-mounting bracketry that you just can't access while they're still installed in the truck.

For the headliner, I like Adams Carpet/Upholstery cleaner and it's worked well when I've tried to get those mystery stains (hell if I know how they got there or what they are...:confused: ) out of the headliner.
I agree. We have mini hand-held steam cleaner we use specifically for vehicles. Little Green®ProHeat
We got the one for "pet messes" because it gets hotter. If you dont want to spend that kind of money, I really like a product that resolve makes. RESOLVE Deep Clean Powder You pour it on, scrub it in, wait for it to dry and then vacuum. Its what I do on the house carpet in between steam cleaning it. I've found that most carpet cleaners for autos specifically don't seem to work as well as things that are marketed for homes and usually you can find something anti-bacterial in the products for homes and since I'm a big germ freak, I like that!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Surprisingly enough, Windex on the headliner has done wonders for me... Soda, Ketchup.....You know all the crap kids can sling on a 3 day roadie! if its just spots, hold it close... soak it... wipe with a paper towel.. My truck and my Excursion interior is tan...no issues, my van is gray.. no issues...... All Fords...
Pressure washer on the driveway for carpet.... everytime.... Ive used dishsoap, laundry soap and carpet cleaners.... I have had even results. (some require WAY more rinseing!!!)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

:whs: this stuff works very very well

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
Do the powerwashing idea works GREAT!! Ive seen some nasty carpet look new again!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just how hard is it to pull the carpet?

Seems like way more work than i wanna do for an 11 year old truck LOL

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I agree. We have mini hand-held steam cleaner we use specifically for vehicles. Little Green®ProHeat
We got the one for "pet messes" because it gets hotter. If you dont want to spend that kind of money, I really like a product that resolve makes. RESOLVE Deep Clean Powder You pour it on, scrub it in, wait for it to dry and then vacuum. Its what I do on the house carpet in between steam cleaning it. I've found that most carpet cleaners for autos specifically don't seem to work as well as things that are marketed for homes and usually you can find something anti-bacterial in the products for homes and since I'm a big germ freak, I like that!
X2 on the Bissel Little green It works wonders !! Buy the solution for the bissel ! If you buy one it comes with some but you will go on a cleaning spree ,I did both seats the carpet and some house furniture.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just how hard is it to pull the carpet?

Seems like way more work than i wanna do for an 11 year old truck LOL
Its really not that bad, couple of hours, about 6 bolts per row of seats, a couple of connectors and they are out.

Carpet removal takes a few more screws at the door sill's and seat belt hold downs..... IIRC the holddowns take a hex head allen.... You might check that out.

·
150 Posts
I think I may pull my carpet out, pressure wash it and then dye it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts